SATA only as D:

Hahaiah

Not sure if this is the right place or if it has been discussed, if so please point me to it ...

I just got an Maxtor 200GB SATA and installed it on a SiS755 MB. The MB has both IDE and SATA. The BIOS allows boot priority and everything seems fine.

Trouble is when installing. XP installs it as D: not C: So when I try to boot after installing, I get NTLOADER not found error.

I CAN use Acronis True Image to restore a previous backup to it and it boots as C no problem, but a FRESH install seems to refuse seeing it as C:

Are SATA drivers only nec for a PCI card or do I need them here and how do I use them ...

Thanks

Have you tried updating the BIOS? That might help... The only other thing I can think of is a defective board.... I encountered a similar situation when I installed a Adaptec SATA card into my dad's computer. Computer never did boot into the hard drive attached to the BIOS. I think because the card didn't support it. Maybe that's the situation with your mobo. Hope this helps!

Edited by dougiefresh

When you have both sata and ide drives connected it will read the ide drives 1st... i have a 200gb maxtor sata drive as well and a 4gb seagate hdd (just for some standalone apps) and if i leave the ide drive connected it will show it as c: my 20 gig partition from sata as d: and my 180 gig partiton as e:

unplug your ide drive when installing xp and your sata will be registered as the c drive ;)

I've been told (and am planning on testing this next format) that if your partition on the SATA drive are primary, and the ones on the IDE are logical it will select the SATA as C:. If anyone else could confirm it would be good.

[update] Upon testing this i got an error stating that there was no compatible partition on the IDE drive to install the bootloader, so this is a no go, at least for me

Edited by ender341