unattended vista

Looks like the download invitation is not available anymore. Anymore can provide me a link where I can get it?

connect.microsoft.com

if you cannot get it there then the beta is been closed and they will be going to rtm soon. they have to have the BDD done the same time they do vista for business's so that they can use it to deploy vista

Is there a way to have Vista ask to use the answer file?

Biggest reason I ask is because with Vista having a single master image file for all versions of Windows the DVD is technically already a multiboot DVD, and so the largest thing to overcome is being able to have Vista use or not use an answer file, I mean there's the obvious method of "Just put the floppy in when you want it", or memory stick, or whatever, truth of matter is sometimes that can be a bit inconvenient having to remember to always put it in there each time....

Obviously I'm like 4 months early with this question, but it is nice to be prepared in advance....

Is there a way to have Vista ask to use the answer file?

Biggest reason I ask is because with Vista having a single master image file for all versions of Windows the DVD is technically already a multiboot DVD, and so the largest thing to overcome is being able to have Vista use or not use an answer file, I mean there's the obvious method of "Just put the floppy in when you want it", or memory stick, or whatever, truth of matter is sometimes that can be a bit inconvenient having to remember to always put it in there each time....

Obviously I'm like 4 months early with this question, but it is nice to be prepared in advance....

it either uses a unattendfile or it doesn't, you would have to have something like a hta pop up first to ask you what version you would want ot innstal, it would then have to rename one of your .xml anwser files to autounattend.xml

If my understanding of the Vista install procedure is correct then by including the product key in the unattend file will tell Windows to install the Ultimate version...

Because the Vista discs include ALL versions of Vista inside the Install.wim file the differetiator is a proper Vista product key. And because the first thing Vista does when you start the install process is ask for a proper product key it chooses which version to install for you because that key will only be valid for a certain version of Vista...

If my understanding is correct....

no.. i already included the key and then this window does appear :) if i use the key which is shipped with vista in a xml file or so i can choose there all vista versions.. but i want to skip this window :(

bascially you would have several XML files for each version that you would want to unattend, in the HTA you could have radio boxs for each version the client could select which version that they would want to install and then the HTA would find the names xml file (EXAMPLES: HOME.xml, corp.xml) say the user wanted to install vista home edition, they would check the home radio box, the HTA would kick off setup then with the /unattend :corp.xml switch on it to use your corp unattend file, the only real differences in the XML files would be the CD-key (unless you wanted them to do different things) just a thought i had, i am sure there will be other ways to do what you are looking for

@ fizban:

Is oscdimg working for you with images larger than 2 GB? Cause it wasn't so far for me...

However you can create bootable images and DVD with UDF filesystem with the freeware ImgBurn. It's available at www.imgburn.com.

Martin

@all:

Does anybody know how to turn off driver signing to install bootcritical SATA/Raid drivers?

Thanks!

Edited by FireGeier

@fireGeier

from a command prompt with admin rights, type

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

this will turn off the driver signing, **Warning** i have done this and loaded some drivers and it killed vista, make sure you backup your machine if there is anything you want on it before doing this and installing the driver. this is something you can only do once you are in vista though

as for OScdimg not making larger files, it has done well for me so far, no errors to speak of. can you post the command you are using with OScdimg?

oscdimg -n -m -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\iso c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

that is what i have been using,

oh and imgburn rocks too :)

What does the -m option do? I've used the same command like you without the "-m" option. Ok, I've had other pathes but used etfsboot.com, too.

Here is what I did:

1. Copied the contents of Vista DVD to HD.

2. Mounted the boot.wim located in /sources.

3. Added an .inf file for an SATA/RAID driver with peimg /inf

4. unmounted boot.wim and copied it back to /sources folder

5. Tried to recreate an image of the whole DVD using oscdimg and got an error message that the image was to big or something like that.

6. Tried with Nero. Didn't work eather, cause install.wim is larger than 2 GB and it does not support udf boot dvd.

7. Used ImgBurn to recreate the image with udf format and it worked fine.

I can use the DVD to install Vista but it does not install the SATA/RAID driver. I've thought it would not install cause the driver is not signed - well it's still a beta. I can install this driver while vista is running but I would like to understand the unattended way of doing this.

Would the Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON work under PE, too?

And thanks a lot for the quick response!!! :thumbup

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

What does the -m option do? I've used the same command like you without the "-m" option. Ok, I've had other pathes but used etfsboot.com, too.

Here is what I did:

1. Copied the contents of Vista DVD to HD.

2. Mounted the boot.wim located in /sources.

3. Added an .inf file for an SATA/RAID driver with peimg /inf

4. unmounted boot.wim and copied it back to /sources folder

5. Tried to recreate an image of the whole DVD using oscdimg and got an error message that the image was to big or something like that.

6. Tried with Nero. Didn't work eather, cause install.wim is larger than 2 GB and it does not support udf boot dvd.

7. Used ImgBurn to recreate the image with udf format and it worked fine.

I can use the DVD to install Vista but it does not install the SATA/RAID driver. I've thought it would not install cause the driver is not signed - well it's still a beta. I can install this driver while vista is running but I would like to understand the unattended way of doing this.

Would the Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON work under PE, too?

And thanks a lot for the quick response!!! :thumbup

Martin

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON might have to be kicked off once Vista is started (Pass 7) the BCD container is not created till then and you can't set values till then (this is speculation, i have not tried it though)

for what ever reason i cannot find what the M values is now... i thought it was for large file sizes...

found it ERROR: Image is 2061768704 bytes too large for 74-minute CD (681,984,000) (use -m to override or try -o to optimize storage)

-m allows you to do over the CD-R limit, works fine at that point. you are on a NTFS partition right?

found it ERROR: Image is 2061768704 bytes too large for 74-minute CD (681,984,000) (use -m to override or try -o to optimize storage)

-m allows you to do over the CD-R limit, works fine at that point. you are on a NTFS partition right?

Hey fizban,

I'll call you the visionary from now on! :thumbup This is exactly the error message I was getting. But why the heck MS does not explain this option in help file...? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Martin