unattended vista

Well thanks for this info. I'm surprised to see how well informed you already are in such short time of appaerance of the WAIK. :thumbup

:) i am really interested in the single image process and such, also my company is working on implementing WIM images instead of ghost, saving them a good 70k a year in ghost license... :) have to learn fast if you want to stay up with the curve

Important question

I rarely have two machines with the same hardware config. Therefore its CRUCIAL that there is no auto-select of the partition to install to.

Thus what is used if you wish to choose the install partition at run-time?

i.e This is BAD BAD BAD

<InstallTo>

<DiskID>0</DiskID>

<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>

</InstallTo>

Can it simply be removed to be prompted at run-time?

Important question

I rarely have two machines with the same hardware config. Therefore its CRUCIAL that there is no auto-select of the partition to install to.

Thus what is used if you wish to choose the install partition at run-time?

i.e This is BAD BAD BAD

<InstallTo>

<DiskID>0</DiskID>

</InstallTo>

Can it simply be removed to be prompted at run-time?

If you remove the installTo line it will prompt for a location to install to, but then you have to leave the <WillShowUI>onError</WillShowUI>

if you are machines are not ever the same then what you could do is just have the HD that vista is to use plugged in on that machine, at that time you could use

<InstallToAvailablePartition>true</InstallToAvailablePartition>

to install to the available Partition on the HD, if you don't like that idea you can just take out the <isntallTo> tag and it will prompt to the install location screen during install

Quote from the Release Notes from BDD 2007 Beta. "If you create a DVD deployment point that results in an ISO image larger than 3 to 4 gigabytes (GB), Windows PE will report the error “File not found” when starting setup in a Microsoft Virtual Server virtual machine. If the ISO image is larger than 2.2 GB, Windows PE will report the same error when starting setup in a Microsoft Virtual PC virtual machine."

• 1 month later...

Hi fizban2, I am retrying this for build 5472.

I wonder if

<Path>x:\source\install.wim</Path>

in your Autounattend.xml was really meant be source? or sources? Because in the DVD, it is sources, and I was wondering if that had any effect.

Hi fizban2, I am retrying this for build 5472.

I wonder if

<Path>x:\source\install.wim</Path>

in your Autounattend.xml was really meant be source? or sources? Because in the DVD, it is sources, and I was wondering if that had any effect.

if on the DVD it is sources, then yes, it will need to be sources on the Unattended file also.

Has anyone gotten the BDD 2007 Beta to work with XP SP2 yet? Silly question I know but we want to use the same tools for both deployments until full upgrade.

I am able to add the Operating System fine under the workbench, but as soon as I create a new "build" under the build node, my MMC crashes and won't let me view the build node anymore.

To resolve it I have to remove the Operating System XP SP2 associated with that build therefore breaking its link.

I was told that this Beta release should support XP as well.

are you trying to extract the XP build off of a CD? that fucntionality is not available yet, you will need to copy the source files to your computer then import them into the BDD, there were several issues working with the BDD and Xp Sp2, none have been fixed since an updated version has yet to come out. to fix the error you are receiving go into the distro folder and delete the OS folder containing the Windows XP Sp2 information (xml files) that were create for that build, you will be able to open the BDD again and create a new build or capture

are you trying to extract the XP build off of a CD? that fucntionality is not available yet, you will need to copy the source files to your computer then import them into the BDD, there were several issues working with the BDD and Xp Sp2, none have been fixed since an updated version has yet to come out. to fix the error you are receiving go into the distro folder and delete the OS folder containing the Windows XP Sp2 information (xml files) that were create for that build, you will be able to open the BDD again and create a new build or capture

Thx fizban, I figured that out right before seeing your message. I was able to backup the build.xml file in the control folder. It is actually possible to create the build, you just can't click on the build node again.

You can then go modify/update the files manually. But would be nice to have a new release soon. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

I think the "Image cannot open" error in VMware is now gone away with the recent builds of Vista.

I am trying 5472.5 with Autounattend.xml now. Now there is a new problem.

When I add the Autounattend.xml, Vista fails to install on the HDD.

27yd6pg.jpg

Same ISO without the .xml file, installs on HDD with no problems.

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<DiskConfiguration>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</DiskConfiguration>
<Display>
<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
<RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate>
<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
</Display>
<DynamicUpdate>
<Enable>true</Enable>
</DynamicUpdate>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallFrom>
<Path>x:\sources\install.wim</Path>
</InstallFrom>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
<UserData>
<ProductKey>
<Key>XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX</Key>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</ProductKey>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
<FullName>McoreD</FullName>
<Organization>BetaONE</Organization>
</UserData>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Identification>
<JoinWorkgroup>BetaONE</JoinWorkgroup>
</Identification>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>
</settings>
</unattend>

the XML is based on fizban's, with source changed to sources and InstallTo removed.

Cheers,

McoreD

It's interesting to notice that when you add

<InstallTo> 
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
</InstallTo>

you don't get the error in the above post. But then you get the old "cannot open image" error. But this time I tried every letter from teh beginning.

<Path>X:\sources\install.wim</Path> - FAILED

<Path>D:\sources\install.wim</Path> - FAILED

<Path>E:\sources\install.wim</Path> - FAILED

<Path>F:\sources\install.wim</Path> - FAILED

<Path>G:\sources\install.wim</Path> - FAILED

<Path>H:\sources\install.wim</Path> - WORKED!

So depending on the number of VM HDDs you have, you might have to try every letter from the beginning to get it working in VMware. :)

I would still to NOT have

<InstallTo> 
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
</InstallTo>

Can anybody with similar interest put some light on this?

Thanks,

Mcore

Edited by McoreD

are you building this XML file through the WAIK and the WSIM? if so 5384 is the only build available that will install propely with the autounattend.xml file, new build have been changed tremendously and will not work correctly.