how to remove the "remove hardware" icon

ripken204

Well I will use the batmeter way, the icon just doesn't appear so we don't have to hide it every restart.

I'm not in a laptop so it's ok.

Is there any problem if I remove batmeter.dll from my xp cd in my unattended?

i just found something u need batmeter for, the power options, i wanted to change the amount of time that it takes for my monitor to turn off and it wouldnt work. so i had to just change the file back to do it. but the monitor still turns off if the file is changed

yeah i was aware of that side effect, i mentioned it in the other thread, should have mentioned it here also.

But there may be a way to hack batmeter, or unregister something so it kills that icon. I did remove the srhi icon from the dll once, but i remeber getting just a blank space in the tray, but im not that experienced with resource hacking.

btw im going to try and get the hotplug file from win2000 later.

i just edited a file called stobject.dll which has the icon in it, i made the icon transparent but there is a blank spot in the tray where it would be

http://frontiernet.net/~unholyknights/stobject.dll

put it in ur system32 folder and just backup the other if u want the icon back, with this if u right click on the blank spot then u can still use it

does any1 know if u can move an icon in the tray to be the 1st icon?

Edited by ripken204

??????? I dont see what the problem is with the autoit script it hides the icon at every startup and you can still remove devices via the shortcut that is created with the installer I made... why bother hacking anything... like I said I made an installer to do everything for you and it runs silently for people that want to use it on thier unattended cds... with this you KEEP all the other files why bother losing functionality if you dont have too...

Edited by godan

I have the solution.

I resource edited the file stobject.dll and deleted the famous icon, not transparent, just deleted it. Then restart and no tracks of it, no empty space in the tray, it just has gone.

:thumbup:thumbup

I'm not gonna post the file because I use the spanish xp and there will be incompatibilities with you using the english version.

Edited by Aaron_

yep, and this will be vry easy to include in the UA just like u explained

thx to everyone that helped out, mostly aaron b/c he figured it out, DigeratiPrime for telling us the file, and godan for finding a way to do it too