Users On A Network

Robertson

Right, im going to have trouble explaining this exactly...

I want to know how to set a network up with all the computers using XP so people can logon to their user account from any computer on the network and still access their files. I know how to set a network up for ICS and file sharing etc already as i have set me one up here at home.

As an example, at my school they have it so you can logon to your files from anywhere within the school using your assigned username and password.

Please let me know...

if there is anything else you need to know just tell me and i will reply ASAP

i may be way off base here... so someone point it out, please, if i am.

you will have to set up a domain, and for that your gonna need a server running something like win2k server or windows server 2003 (unless someone knows how to get xp to be a domain controller, fthrjack :) ).

from there its not too hard. heres what i did on our new network (take this w/ a grain of salt, but it worked for me):

created the user accounts in Active Directory, from there you can set their home folders (where all their files will be stored), and pretty much everything else you want to set.

log them on, set up the desktop how you/they want it. right click my computer, advanced, user profiles. click on the one you want to change, set it to roaming profile. the profile is going to need to be on a computer thats on all the time aka the server.

the only problem is win2k server is lotsa $$$$, or you can signup for the windows 2003 server beta (at which point ignore all of my response.. i have yet to touch it).

hope that helps!

* i am not legally,morally, sexually or emotionally responsible for any damage, lost time, etc done by trying this. what do you expect ? im intellectually challenged aka ive got an IQ in the single digits.