Login Script Does not work.

Hamins

Hi,

I have created a .vbs login script to map network shares to drives. I placed the login script (Loginscript.vbs) into the NETLOGON share on the 2003 Domain controller, and also added the following folder path to the Login Script section of the user profile : \\server\Netlogon\LoginScript.vbs.

However, when the user's login the script does not run at all. I know this cause the script displays a message box, and maps the drives. When the user logs in, none of this happens. However, when I double-click on the script (LoginScript.vbs), it works fine.

Also, is ther any way to map several shared folder from different volumes, to one drive, with or without using script?

Please I need an answer to first question, ASAP.

Thanx

try using LoginScript.vbs under the Login Script section to see if that works (i.e. not the full UNC name)

Im not too sure if there is another way round mapping drives other than using scripts.

It is best to assign logon scripts using group policies under Windows 2000+.  That is the location it looks for the logon scripts in first.

I would've done that. However, There are a few users in the group that have a different login script.

Edited by Hamins

Have you checked the event log on the workstations you are applying this to.

Either 1 you get a cannot fine ......loginscript.vbs which means you have hte wrong path set

or

you get a general error in the security log stating bad username or password/computer not trusted

or

you dont see anything which means that either the script is running perfectly with no problems(not the case) or it is not applied correctly using group policy.

Did you do any security filtering on this GPO?

What Version GPO are you using(2000/2003/Local)

when you are setting the path to the login script... are you using the UNC path to the script?

Have you checked the event log on the workstations you are applying this to.

Either 1 you get a cannot fine ......loginscript.vbs which means you have hte wrong path set

or

you get a general error in the security log stating bad username or password/computer not trusted

or

you dont see anything which means that either the script is running perfectly with no problems(not the case) or it is not applied correctly using group policy.

Did you do any security filtering on this GPO?

What Version GPO are you using(2000/2003/Local)

when you are setting the path to the login script... are you using the UNC path to the script?

hmmm.... I have'nt quite checked the eventlog on the local PC.

However, I'm quite sure that the login script is NOT running at all.

I've not applied it using GPOs. I'm using the user profiles.

The path I have mentioned is the UNC path. It's stored the login script in the NETLOGON share on the 2003 server. It looks like...

\\Server01\NETLOGON\LoginScript.vbs

Make a batch file with a .bat extension like login.bat for example. Put it into \\server\Netlogon\ and in a user profile type in \\server\Netlogon\login but do NOT use the file extension because it wont work. In the batch file write START \\server\Netlogon\LoginScript.vbs

Make a batch file with a .bat extension like login.bat for example. Put it into \\server\Netlogon\ and in a user profile type in \\server\Netlogon\login but do NOT use the file extension because it wont work. In the batch file write START \\server\Netlogon\LoginScript.vbs

Yes, tried running a login script with with a .bat extension. But, that did not start up either..... and Yes, I did not add the .bat extension.

Yes, tried running a login script with with a .bat extension. But, that did not start up either..... and Yes, I did not add the .bat extension.

ok try creating a new folder and share it to everyone and put the login script in that folder. put the new path in users profiles.

ok this is how my company is set up. it may not be pretty but it works. hope this helps :thumbup .

all batch and vb scripts are in C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\my_domain\scripts, in AD i have the user profiles set to call different batch files, example:

@echo off

wscript.exe //Nologo %0\..\mkelogon.vbs

which obviously calls the mkelogon script.

I have a similar problem, with a small difference.. my login scripts run perfectly on one computer (XP with no SP, desktop computer) but doesn't run at all at 4 laptops with XP with SP2.

Now, I've disabled the security center on the SP2 laptops but with no result.

Any ideas?