why do u guys use such big hdd's ?

The topic:

i was just wondering, why do people get such big hard drives? anything over 40 gigs sounds like an overkill to me. the only reasons i can think of having a big hard drives is if u download alot of crap like movies/music, use virtual drives/cds, video editing, and programming. i only use like 15 gigs of my hdd out of 40.

1.how big is ur hdd?

2.how much of it do u actually use?

3.what do u use it for?

From just a practical standpoint,,,,the HD manufacturers NO longer make 'little' hard drives.

I could search my area, high and low, and not find a single HD smaller than 80gigs.

To get a 20 to 40 gig'er anymore, you have to be willing to take a refurb or pull.

Besides the extra space, so you don't have to do quite so much Deleting, bigger drives are generally faster.

Then you get into the new SATA drives and WOW, the speed increase is phenominal!

I've seen speed increases on my own system in the 10X range, with my new WD SATA drive. In my wildest dreams, I'll never FILL up my 120 gig SATA drive, but the 'elbow' room is nice.

I keep all my drives neat and clean to keep down the time it takes to do virus scans and defrags. ;)

Also,,,,,a HD is the world's worse place to store something that you may someday need. EVERY HD is going to CRASH! The question isn't "IF" it's just "WHEN".

I just lost a drive that was only three months old. Thank God and Ghost, I had it well backed up to a bootable DVD. :thumbup

:hello:

GM,

All it takes is MONEY.....the harware is redily available. :yes:

In my next life, my HD's will be mounted in a separate case, with a huge PSU and UPS,, and of course 'Air Conditioning'.

And, I'll run for Pres of the Terrabyte Club. :whistle:

:w00t:

i know u are right, i do have trouble sometimes b/c i need to delete stuff for room if i install alot of games that require alot of space(doom 3, ut2005,sims 2)

but the fact is also that most people dont ever use more than 15gigs, if not 10

most of my friends/family use under 10gigs b/c they are so computer illiterate. they dont know what to do with the space, yes some of them have digital cameras and take photos but they only have a few hundred photos so it doesnt take up much space. they dont play many games, 1 or 2 maybe. they do no types of editing of anything b/c of how illiterate they are.

i am going to get a bigger hdd sometime soon but still...

my friends's dad got a 2nd hdd, 160gigs, and only 4gigs is being used b/c he has nothing to do with the space.

this is basically why i started this thread.

also oem comps are coming with 80-160 gig hdd's and i see almost no point in that b/c its just a waste of money from my point before. and what do u mean by ntfs corruption? if windows desides it doesnt feel like working? if so and if i cant fix the problem then i will just reinstall windows.

Edited by ripken204

What's really criminal, and wasteful to boot, is the way that these huge HD's are set up.

You're absolutely right,,,,hardly anyone needs a 160 gig drive for their boot drive.

Something less than 40 gigs will do admirably.

But in almost every case of a drive set up by any major manufacturer, the entire drive or most of it anyway is all set up as drive C:.

So where do you store your Stuff? Like, music, pictures, Ghost images, etc. (?)

I've been setting up HD's for more years than I really want to admit to in public.

And, I've never set up a drive without a "Storage" partition.

Like a guy needs his pockets and a woman needs her purse,,,every PC needs its own little storage place.

When I recently set up my new SATA 120gig drive,,, I set up C: as a 40gig partition and the rest of the space I set up as D:.

I make Ghost image files several times a week and store them on D: until I can burn them to a DVD. I have about 20 gigs of other "stuff" that I store on D: as well as several generations of Ghost images.

For those who already have one of those screwed up drives....Partition Magic is there to assist you in re-partitioning your drive. I use it often to "FIX" customer's drives. There's a big difference between wasteful space and effective (or efficient) space.

I really wouldn't want to go back to trying to run a PC with a 20 gig drive. :no:

When you set up a storage partition on your HD, it should always be formatted as a FAT-32 partition. This is so you can get at the data stored there, with a DOS boot disk in time of trouble, like when your NTFS partition becomes corrupt.

Remember the old addage: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Cheers!

Andromeda43

what do u mean by where is store my stuff? i have a few partitions on my hdd, one is called Data and thats where i keep backups,downloads,music,vids. its 23gigs out of my 38. i dont have any pics b/c i dont even take any and my digital camera is like 5 yrs old and can hold 8 pictures. my windows part is 7.33gigs and im only using 5.6 gigs of it and i have all of my apps installed on that part too. the rest of the space is for games. no need for ghost images b/c its not of any importance to me, if windows gives me the blue screen then ill almost always find a way to fix it and if the hdd crashes then im screwed. but i do backup my data every now and then, like any of it is rly important.

what are the downsides of fat32 over ntfs? do u lose space, must go slower too?

what are the downsides of fat32 over ntfs? do u lose space, must go slower too?

You dont lose space, but it does perform slower.

BTW, no need to keep a FAT32 just for disaster times, since an NTFS partition can be accessible just as well, from recovery methods (ntfsdos-pro, or PartPE, etc.).

Hee Hee, I'm about to throw the cat in the kennell. :whistle:

I've been running XP Pro for a couple of years now. The day I installed it over my windows 98/SE setup, I made the decision to keep my FAT-32 format on my HD's.

My system screems!!!! If it ran any faster I couldn't stand it! :no:

In two years,,,if there's a downside, I've sure not found it yet.

So, what's the upside? Well, pilgrems, lemme tell ya...

I like having 100% control over my system and my hard drive at all times.

If there's a bogus file that my Security Software can't remove, I just boot up with my trusty ol' Windows 98/SE boot disk an go right in and remove it.

I still use Ghost 2003,,,a DOS program, to back up my HD several times a week.

I copy those Image files to DVD's with my DOS boot disk used as the boot sector for the DVD. Nero does this little trick beautifully.

I deal with other peoples PC's almost every day of the week, with NTFS HD's.

Most of them don't work as good as mine.

Cheers!

:w00t: