about ram and cpu

BombaTwist

hmm , but how high can i OC it to if i have good cooling?

edit: i dont even know or even think i have the proper tools to OC hehe. ive never done it before, thats why.

Sorry about the delay. Ive seen many reports of tbreb B's getting up around the 2.3 - 2.4 GHz range on air cooling. OC'ing your XP 2200+ should be easy, as long as the motherboard lets you modify the CPU core voltage and the FSB speed. All you would really need to do is up the FSB from its stock 133MHz, to 166MHz. Then increase the core voltage enough to get it stable, since the CPU would now be running at 2.25GHz instead of 1.8GHz.

Here is an article with good pics about OC'ing a tbred b duron using the method I described above.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/articles/ocduron/p1.htm

One thing I would suggest doing (if you choose to go this route) is download wincpuid or something and verify that your XP chip is actually a Thoroughbred B core, and not a Thoroughbred A. The earlier tbred A chips were not stellar overclockers from what Ive read.

Everest Home Edition Says it is,

but im not sure what heatsink/fan i need to get, >.<, its been hard for me to pick one. im pretty sure i need a new one since my cpu runs at around 70*C, my computer lags so much at 73*C.

post-12754-1123201229_thumb.png

I don't usually ask these simple questions before doing lots of research on my own and googling like hell but I can't find anything out there...maybe one of you can awnser this? I've got an old xp2200 Athlon with 768 ddr. I am thinking of slapping a 1 gig stick in there (well after removing a 256 stick) to make it a gig and a half. would this be worth it?...can this processor even handle that much memory or should I just upgrade all the guts in my pc?...dumb question I know but we all have our slow days. Thanks guys.

Another question that I am sure could be awnsered with a little research...I have a L7Vmm2 style MOBO and would like to overclock (until I decide to invest my shareholder's check into a new system). What would you recommend for a cpu cooler? If this has already been awnsered in this forum please feel free to pick me apart with critisism because I know I would deserve it. Thanks for the help guys...

Athlon xp2200

80 gig hard drive (7200 rpm)

XP Pro

768 DDR

Ati 9800 Pro with VGA Silencer (oc'd to 414/378)

WinTv PVR- 500

She's an old dog, I know...but she's been faithful...

Everest Home Edition Says it is,

but im not sure what heatsink/fan i need to get, >.<, its been hard for me to pick one. im pretty sure i need a new one since my cpu runs at around 70*C, my computer lags so much at 73*C.

What are you using to read the CPU temp? 70+ Celcius is pretty nuts considering it is running at stock speed right now. Where was your computer bought/built? Are there any case fans feeding/exhausting air from the case? If you dont have even a single case fan, that could very well be your problem. Nowadays just having vents on the case isnt enough. Also check your CPU heatsink for dust build up also. Todays heatsinks have their fins set very close together making it very easy for dust to block air from flowing between the fins.

Now with overclocking in mind, I suggest taking a look at the thermaltake silent boost (right now it is on sale, plus free shipping). Even though I hesitate to recommend thermaltake due to their past, they have come up with some decent stuff as of late. Ive read a couple of online reviews vouching for the ability of the silent boost. This one at furioustech is a good example.

Edited by ssmokee

I don't usually ask these simple questions before doing lots of research on my own and googling like hell but I can't find anything out there...maybe one of you can awnser this?  I've got an old xp2200 Athlon with 768 ddr.  I am thinking of slapping a 1 gig stick in there (well after removing a 256 stick) to make it a gig and a half.  would this be worth it?...can this processor even handle that much memory or should I just upgrade all the guts in my pc?...dumb question I know but we all have our slow days.  Thanks guys.

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/l7vmm2.html

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/l7vmm2_11.html

Looks like it would depend what version of the board you have. 1.5GB wouldnt be a problem for the processor. How worth while the upgrade would be depends on what programs you would be using. What kind of stuff are you running?

I've got the board with 3 expansion slots. I do a little video editing (but not much) and run games such as battlefield 2 (barely), san andreas, band of brothers, Far Cry, silent hunter 3, Escape from Butcher bay, and the whole Gambit of flight sims. Burn and encode/decode lots of movies and so on. Would kicking it to 1.5 make any difference or should I just bite the bullet and build a new system?...don't wanna waste the money. Thanks for replying! I appreciate it.

Far Cry and Battlefield 2 probably will be able to take advantage of the extra RAM. PC2100 RAM might be somewhat of an issue. Supposably BF2 is very sensitive to FSB and memory speeds. Since your board has 3 memory slots it obviously isnt either of the ones I linked to. A 1GB module might or might not work in it.

Oh sorry Ssmokee...I knew I wasn't specific enough when I wrote that. What I meant was it had 3 pci slots...no only 2 memory slots exist on my motherboard. One slot has a 512 and the other a 256. I was thinking about taking out the 256 and putting a 1g in there. Sorry for the mix up.

According to the manufacturers site the one with 3 PCI slots doesnt accept 1GB standard unbuffered modules. That seems a bit strange to me that one does and one doesnt, since they both appear to have the same northbridge. It kinda looks like your stuck with 2x512MB as your max unfortunately.

Edited by ssmokee

well that sucks...I thought I read that somewhere but a couple other sites it said it could hold 2 gig...but oh well. That is strange...1024 max in a pc only 2 years old?...what the hell? Thanks for you help ssmokee, you should be paid :)

also-kinda a jip if you have to pick between 2 pci slots and 2 gigs or 3 pci slots and 1 gig...If I had known that back then I would have gone a different route all together.

Edited by hunglah4u