speed up boot time

ripken204

Hehe... funny you should mention that... I've got my NOD32 configured so that I never need the GUI. It automatically updates, so no need for that. If it finds anything, it's set to try to clean it, and if it can't delete it. That way I never have to deal with anything. :)

Hi,

just insert the following Registry Key to look what your system is doing while it appears to be doing nothing (wow, what a sentence!):

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

add the DWORD Value "verbosestatus" with Value 1

I had a similar problem lately and discovered that my system was trying to reestablish a connection to a not available network drive.

Bye, Egon

im now using nod32 after reading alot of posts but i dont rly like it

if you don't need a resident scanner, try ClamWin and ClamMail (link in my sig.). i absolutely love it. very light weight and it only runs and uses resources when I want it to! from the little reading up i've done on them, they appear to be very good and updates are dished out faster than some major vendors. i believe both are open source as well (so they are entirely free).

@egrath-i did that but how am i suppose to check whats going on?

@Zxian-i think im gunna do that, it seems like a good scanner and alot of ppl love it so im gunna stay with it for a while, u just need to do my manuel scans everynow and then, what do u recommend, once a month?

also im going thru the settings on it, for automatic update i have it daily at 7pm, and a cool feature is that if the task wasnt completed(like if the comp was off) then i can have it do the update right when the comp starts

@Zxian-i think im gunna do that, it seems like a good scanner and alot of ppl love it so im gunna stay with it for a while, u just need to do my manuel scans everynow and then, what do u recommend, once a month?

Yeah, once a month should do it for manual scans.

Did you also have a look at hibernation? A properly configured computer shouldn't need to shutdown/restart for a good long while.

Hi,

when you have verbosestatus enabled, after you login in there is a window centered on the screen telling you whats going on (ie. Restoring Network connections for example)

Or is your System hanging after this screen disappears?

Egon