speed up boot time

ripken204

Try enabling the prefetcher instead of having it disabled.

Use either 3 or 7 for that value (Enableprefetcher) instead of 0.

You have probably tried this one already:

Check msconfig for progs autostarting, there may be progs starting more than one time or old entries for progs you've uninstalled. Try unchecking those...

I have Dell laptop.It was working for two years without problem I had similar problems like you.I googled the web finally found the solution.It was the dust.I cleaned my fans with compressed air and it is now working well.Maybe it is related to heat of CPU just a very wild guess :)

Try using a vacuum cleaner to get rid of some of the dust. You might have to open the laptop (be careful with that) to get out any considerable amount of dust.

When was the last time you did a reinstallation of Windows?

Windows does get slower over time, the reasons for that is for example leftover files of different kinds and the registry getting bigger.

just did a clean install last about 5 days ago, but like i said b4 its only slow when i start up the comp, the boot screen only goes through around 5 bars. and if i log off and log back on then it only takes a few secs and its set.

i dont fell comfortable opening my laptop, especially since i dont even know how to

so maybe with my compressed air can that ill be getting tomorrow ill spray it for like 5 sec then use a vaccumm for 10 sec, and do this on and off

Edited by ripken204

i got the compressed air today and i sprayed away, also used a vaccum cleaner and that helped too, according to speed fan my idle temps are around 45-47, and that seems high to all of u but this is a laptop, and before i cleaned it my idle temps were 54-56, so thats a considerable amount.

now back to the startup, i am not allowing any programs to start up, this only took like 5 sec off and im still waiting over 20 sec.