speed up boot time

ripken204

my comp boots up pretty fast until after i log in, after i log in explorer.exe doesnt even come up for at least 30 sec, i only have the programs i need starting up(norton AV, MS antispyware, and an ati controle panel). now what else should i do? maybe disable some services like how blackviper suggests? plz tell me what ur tricks are

what hardware do you have? i have a piece of junk HP Pav at work and i hate it. i think it's a 2.4 mHz with RAM that i added (1G now i think) and it boots slower than my highly tweaked P3 box did that i built long ago.

now, on to another theory...

i built a new box a few months ago. i usually configure BIOS to set up the hardware via the "is OS plug and play aware = NO" option. the other day i had occasion to get into BIOS and i changed that setting to "YES". wow! after log-on the OS (XP Pro) took forever to finish loading and CPU usage was, and remained (even after loading) pegged at 100%. i haven't bothered to troubleshoot that yet, i just changed BIOS again, but maybe this is your problem as well???

like i said i dont have a prefetch folder, its not there

but i just treid logging off and then back on, fast user switching is disabled, and it loaded up in ~3sec, so maybe everything is good but it just does a total startup rly slow for some reason

Edited by ripken204