Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0ghz vs P4 2.4ghz Northwood

Spinman

I have two systems at home - wondering if the performance differential between the two would be noticeable...

Asus K8N 800/FSB * 1g DDR PC3200 memory * AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0ghz

vs

Gigabyte 8Iexp 533/FSB * 1g DDR PC2100 memory * Intel P4 Northwood 2.4ghz non-hyperthreading

I am currently using the Asus exclusively for MCE2005 and the Gigabyte for my daily work horse.

I was wondering if it would make sense (and be worth the effort) to swap systems - so that the older Gigabyte is setup to run the MCE application and the Asus used for daily work (presumably faster processing when working with databases, calculations, financial applications, etc).

Is the Asus faster, slower, or immaterial?

I have two systems at home - wondering if the performance differential between the two would be noticeable...

Asus K8N 800/FSB * 1g DDR PC3200 memory * AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0ghz

vs

Gigabyte 8Iexp 533/FSB * 1g DDR PC2100 memory * Intel P4 Northwood 2.4ghz non-hyperthreading

I am currently using the Asus exclusively for MCE2005 and the Gigabyte for my daily work horse.

I was wondering if it would make sense (and be worth the effort) to swap systems - so that the older Gigabyte is setup to run the MCE application and the Asus used for daily work (presumably faster processing when working with databases, calculations, financial applications, etc).

Is the Asus faster, slower, or immaterial?

the asus box should scream by comparison but I've found on more recent machines that the hard disk read/write/access time is very important.

I'd swap if I were youi.

well this is a two sided thing

1. if they have the sameish harddisk then yes the 3000+ wins

2. if the p4 has a raptor or other high preformance drive then it wins

but if i were you and number 2 aplied i would swap the hdds then swap the compys

eh?

No question about it, the AMD system would spank the intel because its only a 533 FSB chip running PC2100 memory and as such bandwidth is quite low on that system. It has no HT and will not multi task any better in reality. Still it has longish pipes so some apps may favour the intel chip.

The AMD system which loves its bandwidth has just that, and if your using some nice ram with tightish timings then even better.

Dont let the Ghz PR fool you, they mean nothing when comparing AMD and intel systems. In a recent thread at a hardware forum my Newcastle (single channel only core!) running at 2.75ghz beat a 4.0ghz (cant remember if it was a pressie or northwood) intel chip in SuperPI.

However, SuperPI isnt the end all of performance and im sure the Intel chip which would have had HT would have ran 99% of encoding applications better and handled a multi tasking enviroment better than my A64.