x64 + OCing = BSOD(s)

nfm

Hi there,

Here's the problem. I got AMD Platform overclocked to 2.6Ghz CPU, DRR589@2.5-4-3-6 timings memory and so on. System is fully stable, I mean stable (48h of Memtest!, 24h of Prime95!, every benchmark stable, Super Pi 32M Calc) The thing is Win XP SP2 work fine with my overclock. But x64 will cause BSODs (Mainly MACHINE_BUG_EXCEPTION) It's been proven that DEP (date execution prevention I think it is called) caused Win XP SP2 to be unstable, but when it was set disabled, people could get same stable windows overclock as they got in eg. Win Server 2003 or Windows 2000. The problem is that DEP in x64 can only be disabled in 32-bit emulation mode using AlwaysOff in boot.ini. I heard that DEP in 64-bit mode is harcoded into kernel. Is there anyway to disable DEP comletely, I mean completely. Or maybe other thing that is driving x64 nuts. btw x64 work fine when my part are clocked at stock and doen't cause BSODs

I tried Server 2003 x64 Enterprise with my overclock and it didn't cause BSOD yet like XP x64. So right now I'm on Server, but it would be nice to find out what crashes x64 Windows

EDIT: Don't want to say it, Server x64 just crashed on me. I tried also Server 2003 32-bit, works like charm. So if I want anything with 64-bit I have to be at default clocks :(

Edited by Kamil

Yeah, I have to reset very near to stock. I can install x64 when oced no problem. Sometimes it is stable for hours, or day or two, but sooner or later it will give me the BSOD. It really sucks

Kamil mentioned that the setting in the BIOS only applies to 32-bit emulation. Your best bet is to stick to 32-bit until someone finds a fix for it. Most applications don't support the benefits of 64-bit yet, so you won't be missing out :D.