annoying safe to shutdown screen

hermit

i don't know when it started, but before windows shuts the computer off for me. Now, it won't...instead, that stupid safe to shutdown screen comes up...

under device manager, computer, i don't know why i got 2 entries

1. standard computer

2. ACPI PC

the ACPI doesn't haf a red mark or yellow exclamation mark on it..but when i click properties..it said no driver is installed

the standard pc one works fine but i read on the web the acpi one should be enabled for windows auto shut the comp...windows won't let me uninstall the standard pc one...

i m sure my computer supports acpi..because as i said, windows know how to shut the comp for me before

please advice what i can do

so then the solution is?????????

i read that article before

my motherboard=asus cuv4x

therefore bios=award bios

i tried turning power saving on in bios...no use

control panel , power=ups, no apm

as i said, i think in device manager..it should be acpi instead of standard computer..how do i use acpi instead

as i also said b4, the first time install xp, xp DOES shut down comp for me..just don't know when it started.......it won't shut down

easy cd creator=i haf it...=i tried the xp udate=no use=so what is the xp udate use for?

now so what is the solution u guys came up with in that article?

thx

nope, theres a mix up here, on my pc i cant find it either, but i dnt need to, when i fixed the problem on the pc that was being awkward it was in a place called power [b:121f6bf185]MANAGEMENT[/b:121f6bf185]

like drew called it, its what made me fix the problem, id looked before and not found it, but when i saw that option i remembered what drew said to me and fixed it in a flash, it was the same, (or similar) icon to power [b:121f6bf185]OPTIONS[/b:121f6bf185].

now, to find that **** box, because it doesent appear on my pc, probably as i dont have that shutdown problem... errrr ill get back to you, oh, an chill out... jeez its not as though your pc kicks you in the nuts everytime you shutdown, no need to bite drews head off or mine :nerves

hmm.. a pc that kicks people in the nuts, im waiting ... we have had everything else i suppose LOL

so you are saying that there should be a "power management" option under control panel?

i can't find it

drew specifically said its "power option" under control panel, which every haf, but there is not apm in it

by the way..i really think its the problem in my device manager

cuz as i said..i haf "standard computer" and "acpi" under computer

but the acpi has "no driver installed" and only standard comp is working

but to haf those shut down option, i think acpi should be the one being used

you never mentioned the drivers.... go install them..... then come back :)

and the place i found the option for APM was different to power options, it had less in it, just two tabs if i remember rightly and one was labeled for APM

yes

i mentioned the driver thingy many times before

and no there is no exclaimation mark or red cross in the apm driver one

and yes xp let me uninstall the acpi...but there is no way for me to install the new driver...how?

i tried to uninstall the standard computer one

but no use..can't...the uninstall option for the standard comp is greyed out

so right now just to review my situation

under computer in device manager

i haf apm (which under properties it said no driver is installed can't roll back, no update for it...nothing)

and then i haf standard computer...which the comp seems to be using now..with the irq's setting etc...but can't uninstall

thx for helps guys