MySQL and MSSQL... Possible?

Okay,

So I've got our Win2k Server box up and running with PHP 4/IIS5/MySQL/Perl for about 10 months no probs. But now my Super wants to get our newer box with Win2k3 Server w/ IIS6/SQL to have PHP/MySQL/Perl as well.

My question is if MySQL and MSSQL can run on the same box? Mind you this box also has Coldfusion on it.

Thanks all!

Yes you can. I have a similar setup running on my development box.

Keep in mind though that the more services you run on a single machine the more performance suffers, because they all share the same resources.

I run them both on my webserver with no problem.. but yeah.. you want to make sure it is powerfull enough.. MSSQL is a resource hog MySQL aint cheap on memory either.. just make sure you get one that can handle it and you will be fine

Not a good idea though from a management standpoint. What I would do is run both MS SQL and MySQL in different virtual machines on this new server. This will allow you to perform maintenance and testing on one without affecting the other.

As with most things.. I like each server to have its own roll. This would be one of those scenarios. If you are thinking of hosting MANY websites on this then I would recommend seperate servers.. BUT.. you should not run into conflicts if you decide not to seperate the servers.