Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

If someone knows how to install the NVRAID Windows tool after slipstreaming the driver install, I would be keen to know.

AFAIK this tool das not make a Raid, it only shows it.

So you can install this tool as every other program, when you have installed your slipstreamed OS.

Thank you for your comment. When you have done such a work, it really is a good feeling, that somebody posts, that he has got it working too.

Meanwhile I tested the method described in the first post once again using the NVIDIA chipset package 7.13. It worked flawless on my nForce4 Sata Raid system.

Then I made another test with nLite 1.0 beta5 trying to integrate the SataRaid drivers without the [OemInfFiles] method. This time I used the 7.13 drivers from the (for Sata Raid systems wrong) PATARAID folder as Textmode drivers. Result: endless reboots!

Conclusion: To take just the drivers from the PATARAID subfolder is not the solution for the problems.

I made it work when using the F6 but using the txtsetup.oem from the patadraid and using drivers from sataraid and copy that nvatabus.inf from pataraid to sataraid.

Maybe you have to change only the txtsetup.oem in the subfolder SATARAID and then it works? The system can grab the nvatabus.inf from the $OEM$ folder during GUIMODE section, so you do not need to put it into the SATARAID subfolder.

Do you like to test this?

Edited by Fernando 1

well, i dont know if i really understand, do you mean i dont copy the nvatabys.inf to the sataraid folder but only to the OEM dir?

Would that make a difference?

I have compared the txtsetup.oem files from pata and sata and the only

difference is the nvatabus.inf entry and a catalog file entry

I have now changed the txtsetup.oem in the satafolder so it also have the nvatabus.inf entry and removed the nvraid.inf, because it is already there under the [Files.scsi.RAIDCLASS] section.

It was this way i made work with F6 method but havent been able to slipstream it.

And many thanx for your help it is much appreciated.

well, i dont know if i really understand, do you mean i dont copy the nvatabys.inf to the sataraid folder but only to the OEM dir?

Would that make a difference?

You may try to copy the nvatabus.inf into the SATARAID folder too, but as you realized by F6 method, MS does not need this file during the first (Textmode) section of setup. Everything is okay, when your Raid array is correctly detected (as 1 hard disk drive) during this section.

During the next part of installation (GUIMODE) the setup routine can grab the nvatabus.inf (necessary for installation of nvatabus.sys) from the folder X:\$OEM$\$$\OEMDIR. So it will not be necessary to put the nvatabus.inf into the SATARAID subfolder. But you can do it nevertheless.

fernando, you have made about 5 seperate threads regarding nvraid integration, just use 1 thread, add replies when you find new things out, it saves alot of hassle for us and nuhi.

I know only about 3 threads opened by me and running now.

It will not be easy to continue with 1 thread, because the integration of the drivers into a 32-bit OS is another thing as the integration into a 64-bit system.

The 3rd thread with my experiences during the tests with nLite b5 can surely be closed, although this thread will be the most interesting for Nuhi and his team.

How can I do it? Can the topic starter change the title of the thread?

I just got a Junior (>50 posts), 5 minutes ago I was a Newbee.

Edited by Fernando 1

YEEHAA!!

Thats the way to go!! Now it works!!!

Thanx, Fernando!

Congratulations, Metalljens, and thank you for your patience.

How have you done it at least? Did you only change the textsetup.oem or did you copy the nvatabus.inf into the SATARAID folder too? Which chipset driver package version did you use?

The answers may be important for other users with nForce3 systems. Thanx for your reply.

Edited by Fernando 1

I used the sata_raid 7.13 drivers, and first used nlite to integrate the drivers and did your solution with an oemdir and copied the nvatabus.inf from the pata_raid folder ONLY to the oemfolder and changed the section below in sata_raids txtsetup.oem to look like this:

[Files.scsi.BUSDRV]

driver = d1,nvatabus.sys,BUSDRV

inf = d1, nvatabus.inf <--- old value was nvraid.inf

dll = d1,idecoi.dll

catalog = d1, nvata.cat

Edited by Metalljens

I used the sata_raid 7.13 drivers, and first used nlite to integrate the drivers and did your solution with an oemdir and copied the nvata.inf from the pata_raid folder ONLY to the oemfolder and changed the section below in sata_raids oemsetup.txt to look like this:

[Files.scsi.BUSDRV]

inf    = d1, nvatabus.inf <--- old value was nvraid.inf

dll    = d1,idecoi.dll

catalog = d1, nvata.cat

I also copied the oemsetup.txt to the oemfolder, but i dont know if that changed anything.

Thank you, Metalljens. You helped us finding a resolution for the owners of nForce3 mainboards. I will mention this special way for nForce3 users within my first post.

To make it clear for everyone: Metalljens meant nvatabus.inf (instead of nvata.inf) and txtsetup.oem (instead of oemsetup.txt).

@ Metalljens:

If I am not right, please correct me.

By the way: It will not be necessary to copy the txtsetup.oem file into the OEMDIR folder, because this file is only usefull during TEXTMODE part of installation.

@ Metalljens:

Please have a look an post 1 with the description of the driver integration.

I added your experience as nForce3 user.

Is it correct and easy to understand, what I have written?

AFAIK it's easier for many users to copy a file than to edit something into a file.

Yes, but those txtseup.oem arent exactly the same, the one int pataraid folder has an entry of catalog file which the the sataraid doesnt

This is the pataraid txtsetup.oem

[Files.scsi.RAIDCLASS]

driver = d1,nvraid.sys,RAIDCLASS

inf = d1,nvraid.inf

dll = d1,nvraidco.dll

catalog = d1,nvraid.cat <--- this file doesnt exist in the sata_raid txtsetup.oem , nor physically in the sataraid folder either

This is the sataraid txtsetup.oem below

[Files.scsi.RAIDCLASS]

inf = d1,nvraid.inf

dll = d1,nvraidco.dll

catalog = d1,nvata.cat <---- see, the sataraid has another catalog file.

But maybe you could just copy that catalog file to the sataraid folder? I dont know.

Well, this is the two sections from my working txtsetup.oem:

[Files.scsi.RAIDCLASS]

inf = d1,nvraid.inf

dll = d1,nvraidco.dll

catalog = d1,nvata.cat

[Files.scsi.BUSDRV]

inf = d1, nvatabus.inf

dll = d1,idecoi.dll

catalog = d1, nvata.cat

To other users, there are more entries in the txtsetup.oem, so DONT just copy this into a new text file and name it txtsetup.oem, you have to open the original or make a copy of the origina txtsetup.oem and paste it in the right place

Edited by Metalljens

nforce4 6.66 on A8N-SLI Premium integration succeeded with no concerns using 1.0b5

My System:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, AMD FX-55 Clawhammer processor, ASUS EAX850XT PE 256mb PCIe, Audigy 2 ZS, Sony LCD SDM- HS95PS, DVI, Corsair TwinX1024LL 3200 Professional, 4*WD 74G Raptors in RAID0 on nforce4 chipset, Lian-Li PC-75 case, 2*LG 4163 DV-RW, Panosonic floppy, Sycom 1000va UPS, Enermax EG701AX-VE SFMA 2.0 (600W) Power Supply, Labtech 580e 5.1 THX speaker system, HP Deskjet 940C

@ Metalljens:

Thank you very much for your important correction. I did not realize the other changes in txtsetup.oem.

According to your suggestion I changed this point in post 1.

@ RickSteele:

Thank you for your information. I don't have any idea, why you succeeded with the driver integration using nLite 1.0 b5 and others not.

Did you really take the original versions of the driver package 6.66 without any changes in one of the txtsetup.oem files?

Edited by Fernando 1