Server Backup Question

i like livestate better, i always had problems with the boot disk that comes with acronis true image server. i cant remember what it was exactly, i think accessing a USB disk didnt work.

livestates boot environment seems more stable. and that will be the important thing if your OS doesnt boot any more, and you need to restore it.

the downside is, that in the livestate boot environment you cant create backups. you can only restore or browse them. With the Acronis boot disk, you can also create images.

Another thing: Livestate really has problems when other programs lock the volume (=hard disk). I always have to disable the diskeeper service when creating a backup, for example. When you have more than one entry in you boot.ini that can also cause problems (which arent documented in the knowledgebase at symantec, i had to do excessive research to find these solutions.)

But once thats out of the way, its much better than acronis :)

thats my 2 cents

I never had any issues with my TI set up here...i even had to restore *gasp* my server for 2 times....never let me down. Dunno about the usb disk thingy you mention, never used it myself...i always backup to another disk or to network...

So far, I find the Acronis quite a bit OK but it has compatibility issues with some server like Compaq. I don't know if it is an isolated issue but so far, that is the only issue we had as far as Acronis is concern.