Outlook Express Unattended

Hi all!

I've been reading on the forum and searching for an answer to my question, but without any success which is, Is it possible to setup Outlook Express backup (settings and emails) and settings on a new computer UNattended?

I saw a couple of threads on how to save your settings and export them to, but it all seems so complicated and most of the solutions weren't UA. Is it possible?

Thanks all!

Marthax

So it's not possible? :(

Yes.

Here is some AutoIt code, to find the Store Root

$key = RegRead('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities', 'Default User ID')
$value = RegRead('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\' & $key & '\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0', 'Store Root')
MsgBox(0, 'Distination to copy files', $value); Display the result.

Here is a nice little 40 kb app, that helps to backup the files, for you here.

Edit:

This script should do the task. Have this next to the folder called mail. Execute it, and it will copy all the *.dbx files to the users store folder.

Opt('ExpandEnvStrings', 1)
$key = RegRead('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities', 'Default User ID')
$value = RegRead('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\' & $key & '\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0', 'Store Root')
FileCopy(@ScriptDir & '\mail\*.dbx', $value, 1)

The backup program above, also creates reg files. Just use regedit /s to import them into the registry.

Edited by MHz

It seems like hell of a job. Is there an another mail management program that is easier to backup and at the same time better? I'm open for suggestions. I've used Thunderbird and I wasn't thrilled, but perhaps there is another better program?

This program you showed me Mhz, is it fullt automated? It doesn't seem like it.

The program is not automated. It just digs out the files and the registry entries for you. It can put them back in. But you want to script it, to go back in. That is what the 4 lines of AutoIt script does. It copies the dbx file to your email store folder. Then you just enter the reg entries, that the little program created.

I see. Thank you for that.

What about Email program? I've been reading on the forum, but I can't seem to find that much opinions about different kind of email programs except thunderbird. What do you guys think?

Sorry if I understood the question wrong. There are some threads about Outlook Express setings with unattended installation that helped me: One

Two

There may be some more I've just missed.

I save all my e-mails to the second logical drive and import my settings with a .reg file and a .js script. If you also want to add all your e-mail database you can make a self extracting archive from it and unzip/unrar to the right folder directly from CD.

Regards,

Oleg 2

hi MHz

for some reason the "to find the Store Root" code doesent create a reg file

is this correct?

btw, nice to see you again :)

Hi SixPack,

Always nice to see a friend.

The script does not make reg files. It's purpose is to locate the store folders from registry, and copy the *.dbx files there.

The 40kb backup program, that I supplied a link to, copies the *dbx and exports the reg files, to a chosen folder. So then you can script the process.

Given time. I maybe able to create a full solution. Should do the address book too?

@Oleg_II

That link looks like a good option.

Thanks to Nologic for his extreme wealth of Autoit Knowledge :thumbup Thanks Guy.. heres the Autobackupwin prog by Fab from the 911 cd forum.Another place I lurk.

If you DL his latest release & follow the backup options this Autoit script will run the restore. you just need to alter the paths of course.

Opt("WinWaitDelay", 400)
Run ( @ScriptDir & "\AutoBackup-Win.exe -restore " & Chr ( 34 ) & "C:\autobackup-win\Autobackup - Michael" & Chr ( 34 ) )
Opt("MouseCoordMode",0)
WinActivate("Fab's AutoBackup ... Backup","")
WinWaitActive("Fab's AutoBackup ... Backup","")
MouseClick("left", 58, 267, 1)
Sleep(100)
MouseClick("left", 57, 340, 1)
Sleep(100)
MouseClick("left", 56, 362, 1)
Sleep(100)
MouseClick("left", 418, 264, 1)
Sleep(1000)
MouseClick("left", 535, 453, 1)
Sleep(22000)
MouseClick("left", 643, 455, 1)
Sleep(100)

Fab has produced a very nice Free utility here & I think most of us would agree. Give it a try.

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE