Windows Explorer constant crashing

m-a-leach

I've got a problem with windows explorer with XP home edition SP2. When my laptop starts up and reaches the desktop an error message pops up saying that Windows Explorer needs to close (standard Debug, Send Error Report, Don't Send). After closing it attempts to restart and crashes again, over and over.

I've searched the forum and found similar unresolved issues. Following a suggestion on another forum I started the laptop in safe mode and the error still appeared. I then started Event Viewer, but when I attempt to view a log I get an error saying: 'Unable to complete operation on "Application". The interface is unknown.'

It happened after I let my friend use it, who says he didn't do anything, but I think he was messing with the wireless connection.

Things I've tried:

1) Using MSConfig to disable all applications that were running on startup.

2) Using MSConfig to disable any services that looked like they were linked to networking.

3) Trying to repair internet explorer in the Add/Remove programs section (it doesn't appear in the list).

4) Trying to install internet explorer 6 (it says a newer version is on the laptop: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

5) Using system restore (it won't let me move to a previous month, and I don't have any restore points in this one. I click on the < button and it changes to show it's been pressed but stays on July)

6) Running Ad-aware (nothing detected).

7) Running Norton Anti-virus (nothing detected)

8) Copying working files from another PC (no effect)

I'm pretty much out of ideas, except for the drastic factory settings disks. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew

what3v3r, thanks for the suggestion but safe mode didn't work either.

Nepali, if those are the likely problems how do I fix it? I tried looking for the most recently installed program (it was a Java update) and unistalling it, but no joy. The program before that was installed months ago.

The error report lists modules, which I assume shows what's being used. There's the explorer exe and some 70 dlls. Could a corruption in one of the dlls be the problem?

Thanks

Matthew