partitioning a 40gig hdd

i just parted it into 2 parts, a 12 and a 25(my hdd is ~38)

now when i did this for some reason there was an extra gig left and i told the 2nd part to use take up the rest of the disk, then i tried to combine the 2nd and 3rd part and it worked, but the 3rd part created a folder in my 2nd part and i cannot access the folde(access is denied)

it wouldnt let me do that for some reson tho

i got a part1 and part2 but for some reason there was another gig left of unused space so i combined it into part2 and now there is a folder in part2 that i can open,delete,hide, or do anything to

Hmm. That's a bit more than normal. It is quite common for there to be some "cushion" at the end of an NTFS partitition. This is to allow for the creation of a dynamic volume and the overhead involved. However, it is usually smaller than that. I wouldn't worry about that small difference. Just keep it as unallocated space. Just make sure the C drive is primary and ACTIVE! Otherwise your boot files will end up on the D: drive and cause other problems, though it will let you install.

Hmm. That's a bit more than normal. It is quite common for there to be some "cushion" at the end of an NTFS partitition. This is to allow for the creation of a dynamic volume and the overhead involved. However, it is usually smaller than that

heh m8 what ya mean by the dynamic volume and overhead?btw what shud be ideal space then kept for this like around 30 megs

i dont have and unalocated space left anymore, ill just leave it how it is, thx for ur help

and by the way i used 12gb for c: drive and 25gb was left over so i made that my e: drive(d: was already taken by the cd drive)

@technoguy - Windows 2000 and XP can use portions of more than one physical disk to appear as a single "volume". This is also done in some RAID configurations. This type of "volume" is referred to as a "dynamic volume" and of course, requires some management to keep everything straight. That management involves some disk space and incurs extra steps in access. That is referred to as "overhead" because it is an inherent part of the process which is necessary and can't easily be changed.

ripken204, it sounds like you've got it under control. :o)