is it just me or does xp not want to dual boot

Snoop

i installed xp onto a seperate partion from what win2k was on then win2k stopped working giving me a error message saying ntdetect.exe was corupt or missing so i repleaced that file in the win2k folder and i still got the message so i formatted the win2k partion and installed windows 98se and i get some stupid error message after my monitor has flickered about 20times like its trying to change resolution saying a .vxd file is missing (which i found in the windows folder) so i hunt on my 98se cd for that vxd eventually find it and replace it and i still got that error message..

now is it just me or does XP not like to dual boot?

this is really p*ssing me off coz my crap 810e onboard graphics wont let me run opengl games in xp (and yes i got the latest xp drivers for my GFX) and open gl worked fine in 98se could never get opengl games to work in win2k either

If you can start over - which it sounds like you can since you are formatting and reinstaling things do the following in order -

1. Use FDISK and create 2 partitions C and D

2. Install Windows 98SE or Windows 2000 on C

3. Install Windows XP and make sure you install on D

When you boot now - you will have the choice of Windows and Windows XP.

I am running a triple boot system - Win98SE, Win2K, WinXP and it is working flawlessly

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

[b:fac723d59d]XP dOgg[/b:fac723d59d] - Ok that was mentioned, right above your post in the listed provided. Relax on the spam. Ive read 3 of your post and there rewording everything already mentioned.:mad:

-XPerties

Running dual boot of xp and W2K no probs got that ntdetect.exe prob , but u gotta change the boot.ini so that it can find W2K on bootup

I have 2 hard drives, but have partitioned my C: drive into 2 drives C: and E:..... and the 2nd drive is D:

running xp on c drive and W2K on D:

so my boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

had to config the W2k boot so it could be found on bootup

to change just go control panel/system/advanced /startup and recovery/settings and edit it and save make sure u always have a backup copy of ur boot.ini :cool: