Just fitted SATA Optical drive

I've just bought a SATA Plextor DVD writer that i'm very happy with. But unfortunatly the PC take 2-3 goes to start. Sometimes it just doesn't go through POST, other times it freezes whilst loasding Windows XP SP2 and other times freezes when Windows boots to Desktop. What ever happends i need to power down the PC via the main powerpack switch at the back of the PC.

My specs:

K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (Supports up to 4 SATA & 2 ATA133 Hard drives)

AMD64 939 3500+

Western Digital ATA hard drive

The screen shot i've attached is the error messages in the Event Viewer.

post-4966-1120898417_thumb.jpg

Try unInstalling the nvidia ide drivers.

If you are slipping, then don't include

NvAtaBus .sys, .inf, .cat

and

nvraid.sys .sys, .inf, .cat

The default Msft driver works fine. Also, FOR SOME (not all), systems, the nVidia drivers cause issues.

You ONLY need to slip nVidia ATA drivers if you have a RAID configuration.

I don't believe nVidia has a chipset, like VIA, that has built-in SATA support.... When slipping, only use SATA drivers.

After XP is installed, then run

nForce_5.10_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe, from nVidia

And don't check the IDE portion.

You might check your control panel for nVidia drivers. If you have the option, just remove the IDE portion.

Also, you might want to reInstall your SATA drivers.

As far as I know, there is no true SATA Optical Drive. The Plextor drive is just a PATA drive with a SATA bridge. So you should see no performance benefit from it over IDE.

svasutin

I use Nlite to Slip my drivers so thanks for highlighting those files I don’t need :thumbup . I also uninstalled the nvidia ide drivers and they installed themselves on first boot, seems to of worked but only time will tell.

ssmokee

Thanks for the link, seems my issue is small compared to others!! My PSU is the Antec True Blue 480W so unless it is faulty, which I don’t think it is, then its not a power issue.

GEE: As far as I know, there is no true SATA Optical Drive. The Plextor drive is just a PATA drive with a SATA bridge. So you should see no performance benefit from it over IDE.
My first DVD writer was the MSI DR8 which never consistently worked on my system and i kept having to flash it. The Plextor has worked flawlessly since installation and improves air flow due to the smaller, flatter SATA cabling.