VMWARE, Virtual PC, or QEMU?

Which is the best taking into account cost, performance, compatibility etc.?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best taking into account cost, performance, compatibility etc.?

• VMWARE
    • Virtual PC
    • QEMU

Where's "none of the above"? :P

I test using a spare 20 GB hard drive - far faster than any VM software, plus you can test using your hardware rather than the VM's and really find out if your drivers are working.

Takes me about 30 seconds to shut down the computer, unplug the power cable, press the power button to purge any remaining power, and swap the hard drive cable.

Where's "none of the above"?  :P

I test using a spare 20 GB hard drive - far faster than any VM software, plus you can test using your hardware rather than the VM's and really find out if your drivers are working.

Takes me about 30 seconds to shut down the computer, unplug the power cable, press the power button to purge any remaining power, and swap the hard drive cable.

takes me a click of a mouse to start vmware, and it gets a whole CPU core to itself.

Oh, and I boot it off ISO images, so no need to burn a CD either.

Edited by mjc

I was using Virtual PC 2004 for over a year... Just switched to VMWare Workstation 5.0! The difference in installation speed is VERY significant.

The layout of VPC is much more simplified, but performance is what really matters at the end of the day. :lol: