Running simple:combining WIHU and AUTOIT3 scripts

mow

I've been using WIHU for some months, and I would like to share with you a way of combining WIHU with AUTOIT3 scripts, a way which I found to be very useful for deployment applications.

One problem for me is that the INI file of WIHU would become quite large and complicated, and so harder to navigate and maintain.

I am using AUTOIT3 as my main scripting language. What I basically did was create a script file to handle each application. The script can handle all the dependencies and decisions, then install the application and when it finish, pass the control back to WIHU.

That makes my INI file looks like that:

; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[basic]

Collapsed = 1

description.0 = WinRar 3.4

workdir.0= %CURDIR%\basic\winrar

command.0= autoit3 Setup.au3

selected.0 = 1

description.1 = Acrobat 5

workdir.1= %CURDIR%\basic\Acrobat5

command.1= autoit3 Setup.au3

selected.1 = 0

description.2 = Acroabt 7

workdir.2= %CURDIR%\basic\Acrobat7

command.2= autoit3 Setup.au3

selected.2 = 1

; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benefits of working that way:

@ Keep the INI file simple and small as possible.

@Installation of single application is straight and simple – all you have to do is running the script.

@Updating the application source setup to a newer version is with fewer hassles – again, you update one simple script, not the INI.

@Able to maintain 'sets' of applications (more that one INI file) – now it is easier because the INI need to be updated only for adding / remove applications.

If someone would like an example for a AU3 script I will post it

-- to Benjamin Kalytta: thank you for this nice peace of software!

• 10 months later...

I like your idea, I have been considering doing something similar with autoit for registry tweaks applied to individual users, all users, or the local machine.

Please see my post here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=90&t=73626&st=0

With a sample script you can use to import all the .reg files in a directory

If you have a sample script you think is particularly useful please post to improve this thread.

• 3 months later...