Help With Specs

BombaTwist

Well i was thinking of buying a new computer and building it on my own for the very first time, was i was thinking was to have a decent gaming computer, i dont need those ones that cost like 1000+, a cheap and decent gaming computer would be fine for me. well heres what i got. (everything from NewEgg)

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100576 Radeon 9550SE 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor

Case: ASPIRE X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BL Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case W/ 420W PSU

MotherBoard: eVGA 115-K8-NF31-AX Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

DVD Burner Rom: NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

Ram: pqi TURBO 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Floppy (heh i need it for school purposes): SAMSUNG White 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LEB

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380011A 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

Is there anything im missing? anything i should replace with another part? This is a very good price too, all together its about $470. And also, will all of these parts be compatible with Eachother?

Edited by BombaTwist

Why did you choose the 9250? You can get the 9550 for the same price... albeit a different manufacturer - Sapphire.

Link

You also get more features out of the 9550. I've heard that it can handle games like Doom3 and HL2 pretty decently.

Also, you do realize that with this setup, the ability to upgrade the core components is virtually nil. The socket 754 is going to go the way of the dodo pretty soon.

EDIT w00t!!!! 700 posts! :D

Edited by Zxian

hmm, which socket is best then?

edit: i replaced the video card i posted with the sapphire 9550se Zxian posted

If you do want to do some gaming then I would seriously recommend NOT getting that 9550SE. If you want a cheap gaming card you will actually be happy with, I would recommend a minimum of a 9600 Pro. This card will run circles around the 9550SE. Also that Asus heatsink could go. You linked to the retail 2800+ which comes with its own heatsink/fan, so buying another one is kinda pointless unless its a REALLY good one. I recommend sticking with the included heatsink/fan and put the other money (that you were going to use for the Asus heatsink/fan) towards the video card.

Edit: Getting a socket 939 system would probably be better in the long run, but will cost you more money. Either way, a socket 754 system would not be bad by any means.

Edited by ssmokee

How about a sweeter and cheaper deal for you.

Start here - Apply coupon at checkout. XP Media Center Edition 2005 only +$39.

Loaded Dimension 4700 Media Center Desktop $749

Dimension 4700 Desktop P4 530 3Ghz 512MB DDR2-400/160GB Serial ATA HD, 16x DVD-ROM, 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer, 128MB PCI Express Video card, Dual TV Tuner with remote, 5.1 Audio, on board video, XP Media Center 2005, Word Perfect, 1yr warranty $1255 plus $244 in options - $750 off $1499 coupon = $749 shipped free.

Select Dual TV Tuner with remote, 512MB, 160GB, Dual Drives DVD ROM and DVD Writer, 128MB PCI Express Video card, dell Multimedia Keyboard, Remove Modem and monitor. Add $244 in options, apply coupon at checkout.

Feel the power of a Dell plus u get warranty and a free printer

ripken is the guru for hardware. he single handly created over a dozen post

when he wanted to buy a computer. so he is a good resource of information. :thumbup

Edited by Astalavista

Well... to get back on track...

I'd suggest saving up a bit more money and going for a Socket 939 motherboard and working from there. Find the cheapest 939 CPU you can find, and keep adding on whatever else you need.

If you can, get a mobo with PCI-E, since AGP will also be going out the window soon enough. You can get an ATI X600Pro for the same price as the 9600Pro that was suggested here.

It'll add a little more to your budget, but it means that upgrades are an option instead of a completely new computer a couple of years down the road.

EDIT

Here's a link to a pretty good 939 motherboard that supports PCI-E. Link

All in all, you're probably looking at having to save up another $100 or so. In the end you'll get a much better rig though.

Edited by Zxian

ok ill think about saving up more but This Sapphire Radeon, the sys requirements it says "AGP compliant motherboard supporting AGP4X or AGP8X". does that mean it will run on 4x AGP at full performance? i was thinking about getting this even though its kinda low for my friends b-day present.

Edited by BombaTwist

The motherboard and video card must have atleast one AGP mode in common for them to work together properly. In your case both the motherboard and video card you are looking at have two modes in common (both support 4x, and 8x), so you are fine.