Testing unattended application installs

Just curious as to what the best way to test unattended application installations is, as at the moment my only method of testing them to see if they work etc is when I create a new ISO and do a full OS installation on my laptop... do application installations work thru a virtual PC program like VMWARE or the like?

The best it to make a real world install.

That is the only way you can really test your U.A. CD / DVD

second best method is Virtual Drive

Suggestion: purchase DVD-RW or CDRW media

always keep a copy that works handy so if your U.A. craps out. You

can install using a Working U.A.

Yes UA Application installs work on VMWare , for me anyways.

I usely test my RunOnceEx.cmd in allready installed VMWare Windows before even adding it to my UAXPCD. Once I can see the entries are adding into runonceex in the registry correctlly , I actually reboot or just use the run command with "rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess" in the Vmware Windows to see what proggies are gunna give me grief. If all goes well then I add it to my UAXPCD image and test it in VMWare , if all goes well burn and test it on a real PC (just a rat pc that doesn't matter if it goes wrong).

About the only prob I get testing UA Applications in VMWare would be with Daemon Tools v3.47 due to adding a Virtual CDrom , windows throws up New Device wizard asking wether to use a default driver or search for another driver...doh

It only happens in VMware and not when I actually use it in a real world install.

Apart from that all my apps and proggies install UA fine in VMWare.

Edited by smashly

I thought as much that it would be best to do a real install as opposed to a virtual install.. just to see how programs respond etc...

I have a laptop that I use for testing my nLitend installs and unattended application installs.. so I'll just stick witrh that method.

Thanks guys

I use real time installs on a totally hidden partition, about 7mb in size. The only

way to fully test, drivers and all.............. I have 4 computers and all have this

hidden partition. There are several programs out to help with this I use Boot-us.

Not free unless used from a floppy........

BD