Alternative to Widows Media Player

Gouki

media player classic is a good choice; so is winamp

One thing I don't like about MPC though is the way it handles its playlists... on the other hand WinAmp's playlist reminds me somewhat of WMP's... also i think winamp uses codecs prolly

was there anything else you wanted it to do besides being freeware and avoiding codecs {and playing video}?

Edited by spiritpyre

@spiritpyre

No. Thats it ...! I think installing codecs is boring! An app should already have everything it was needed to play the most common files.

I kinda wanted one that was able to do everything. Music & Video

Lol! Im problably asking for too much ...! :)

Great topic Gouki I was gonna post on this ...but u beat me to it haha...anyway does the browsers associate WMV files then to Media Player Classic automatically or some registry hacks are needed to achieve that?

No. Thats it ...! I think installing codecs is boring! An app should already have everything it was needed to play the most common files.

I agree w/ you there, but i just threw a simple codec package onto my uA cd and it works fine (the silent install switch is "/S" incase you might be interested) ...currently using winamp and once in a while i switch off to mpc for movies

I was looking for awhile before that tho and heres a few you might want to avoid:

1) Cliprex Lite 2.6:

- watch out: has included "crap-ware" called "TopText" that it will install by default if you don't uncheck the box during installation.

2) FastStone Player 3.1:

- poor system for queueing up tracks or clips, as it can only play files within a folder you browse to

- does NOT offer: playlist support, an equalizer, visualizations, or the ability to play/rip CDs.

3) Nostra DivX Player 2.1:

- contains ad-ware

BUT..

- I like the way you can EASILY resize windows without any noticable video distortion

- slider bar for video positioning it isn't very visible... you can find in the bottom of the black "display" square in the main window)

- designed for compactness and is able to be run even on very old PCs

4) Zoom Player v4.03:

- somewhat unstable when switching between zoom modes, although you can choose "Reset Window Position" by right-clicking its taskbar button

hope that helps (tried to list versions I had tested as I don't now if these problems have been fixed... but I doubt it)

Edited by spiritpyre

Thank you very much for ur post. It sure is very educative ;)

Im kinda interested in Zoom Player ... Do u know if it works well for video and audio?

Thanks for helping me out!

thanks. all i remember about zoom player was it does play both video and audio, its zoom feature was kind of glitchy (at least on the version I mentioned), and for some reason or another its interface/appearance/layout turned me off to it. but like they say the best way to know if you'll like something is to try it yourself :D

Edited by spiritpyre

If you don't want any codecs installed, you may want to check out mplayer for windows (www.mplayerhq.hu). It's still without a GUI, but it works like a charm. However, there are still few attempts to build a gui for it, but you have to search for the one that suits you.

On the other hand, i use MV2 Player (http://mv2.czweb.org/), a freeware player that has a lot of functions and works perfectly. But it requires codecs instalation. I, for example, use only ffdshow, latest build and in 99.9% of cases, don't need another.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Yes, I know, MV2 Player build is old but still does the job well. :-)

BTW, both handle video and audio files perfectly.

Edited by tmcristi