Spray paint question

tiusic

It started as an upgrade of an old computer, then i needed a new CPU, then a new MB, then it turned out that the power supply and cooling system of my old case were too crap. So I got this awesome silver case B) with a... unique front :thumbup . Then I realised that I was using a floppy drive, DVD drive and CDR/W drive from our old 'beige beast'. It is almost sacreligious to have that crap poking out the front of the beauty that is my new case :puke: . All I need to do is spray paint the components silver. What is the cheapest, safest and most effective way of doing this. Hopefully your insight will put to rest my parents fears of hardware damage. :sneaky:

Edited by tiusic

All I need to do is spray paint the components silver.

Nahh.. leave it as a frankencomputer. It gives it more character. :lol:

My floppy disk and sound cards are now both in their 3rd computers.

And its an AMD 64 dualbooting Windows 98 SE / Linux with about 10 partitions ranging from FAT16 to Reiserfs filesystems. It is set up so I can also boot into DOS and browse the internet, download files etc...

I spruced up my PC by spending $3 on Saturday for a keyboard with actual Windows keys..

Edited by azagahl

1. mask everything that shouldn't be painted with good masking tape if you are painting w/o removing the face plates (use blue or green 3m tape). Afterwards, use a heatgun /hairdryer at a low temp to warm up the tape and then firmly smooth the tape out w/ your finger to make sure it is sealed tight.

2. lightly sand until smooth and use at least 90% by vol. alc. to clean. If your really want it to look good, use a scuffing pad followed by light dabbing w/ a tack cloth.

3. The best paint i have ever used and the only spray paint i use for quality are two brands that are made for models. Tamiya and Pactra. Pactra makes a metallic silver (very light sparkle) and Tamiya makes a solid can of Silver Leaf.

Tamiya and Pactra cost more than krylon, but are very durable (these paints are made for RC cars), sprays w/o sags or orange peal and i don't have to do multiple coats w/ sanding. Also, you can handle what you painted within 2 hours w/o problems. It's really had to mess up the paint job with good model paint unless you didn't spend quality time doing the sanding and prep before hand.

I use a very light coat to begin and after 3-5 min., I do a nice steady spray to finish. DupliColor and krylon often show fingerprints over time on silver/chrome. These two model paints do not.

Regardless of the paint, throw your can in hot (not boiling) water or right under a lightbulb for 10min. to warm up the can. You will get a finer spray mist, less chance for spray blobs or spatter and a uniform professional coat. If you use too much heat, the can will explode so seriously, do not put it in boiling water!