Protecting UACD ! -Some Insight

Hey Guys

@Moon, here is my RunOnceEx.cmd and RunOnceEx.exe, (if you decompile there is no password at the moment, I'm gonna set one once it's all working) I think that it is pretty standard. Cheers for pointing me at greenmachines guide. I am trying a few things at the moment, but I am not overly optimistic. The RunOnceEx.exe runs ok once I have logged into Windows for the 1st time and I run it manually (i.e. after it has failed to run at t-12 and windows has carried on to t-0 and logged me in).

Nope still not working, tried storing RunOnceEx.exe in $OEM$\Setup and then using ".\Setup\RunOnceEx.exe", where cmdlines.txt is in $OEM$.

@Martin, if you want you could figure away of intergrating your $$Rename scripts that you mentioned eariler, so that ppl don't have to worry about 8.3 naming.

Thanx Guys

EDIT: @Moon. I tried calling RunOnceEx.exe from install.cmd, and got a little further in that when install.cmd called RunOnceEx.exe I got a cmd window open titled RunOnceEx.exe that just had E:\$OEM$> and a flashing curser, that all it seemed to do. Nothing was installed and the 1st log on. Any ideas?

RunOnceEx.cmd

RunOnceEx.zip

Edited by rikgale

rikgale,

downloaded your files. Can't really find out the problem if any. I can only suggest you to give it a last try. Try "RunOnceEx.CMD" in cmdlines.txt, but this RunOnceEx.cmd should be like this:

@echo off

Prompt $P$G

MODE CON COLS=80 LINES=300

COLOR 0B

IF EXIST D:\CD.txt set CDROM=D:

IF EXIST E:\CD.txt set CDROM=E:

IF EXIST F:\CD.txt set CDROM=F:

IF EXIST G:\CD.txt set CDROM=G:

IF EXIST H:\CD.txt set CDROM=H:

IF EXIST I:\CD.txt set CDROM=I:

IF EXIST J:\CD.txt set CDROM=J:

IF EXIST K:\CD.txt set CDROM=K:

IF EXIST L:\CD.txt set CDROM=L:

IF EXIST M:\CD.txt set CDROM=M:

IF EXIST N:\CD.txt set CDROM=N:

IF EXIST O:\CD.txt set CDROM=O:

IF EXIST P:\CD.txt set CDROM=P:

IF EXIST Q:\CD.txt set CDROM=Q:

IF EXIST R:\CD.txt set CDROM=R:

IF EXIST S:\CD.txt set CDROM=S:

IF EXIST T:\CD.txt set CDROM=T:

IF EXIST U:\CD.txt set CDROM=U:

IF EXIST V:\CD.txt set CDROM=V:

IF EXIST W:\CD.txt set CDROM=W:

IF EXIST X:\CD.txt set CDROM=X:

IF EXIST Y:\CD.txt set CDROM=Y:

IF EXIST Z:\CD.txt set CDROM=Z:

IF EXIST C:\PATH.TXT set SystemDrive=C:

Echo.

%CDROM%\$OEM$\RunOnceEx.Exe

EXIT

Now, include another file inside the $OEM$ directory which will do all Reg ADD entries in RunOnceEx and compile this file as .EXE. By doing so, we are just breaking original RunOnceEx.CMD into two files. One, named the same and easily recognized from cmdlines.txt and the other part, for security reasons, is compiled into .EXE but actually it is doing the role of RunOnceEx.cmd.

Hope i explained you the logic. Give it a last try.

Testing now. Will post back in about 20mins

EDIT: Tried what you said and that failed to. This is odd. I can't see why it would not work. It runs fine when I double click on it in Windows but fails to run when called from a .cmd file

Edited by rikgale

Changed

Echo.
%CDROM%\$OEM$\RunOnceEx.Exe

EXIT

To

Echo.
START %CDROM%\$OEM$\RunOnceEx.Exe

EXIT

and running the test again

EDIT: That made no difference either!

Edited by rikgale

rikgale,

one problem may be that after the GUI reboot, you are no longer able to access files on the CD, as you cannot know which drive letter is assigned to the CDROM. The reason to copy the files to the HDD(%systemdrive%\) is that there is not an easy mechanism to know which drive letter the CD has been assigned during the post GUI Reboot portion of setup. You are lucky in the first place, as you run your softwares from %systemdrive% which has no letter assignment problem at all. But, in your RunOnceEx.cmd original there was no SET PATH= option included which truly relocated your CDROM(RunOnceEx.EXE needs to be run from %CDROM%). I solved the problem in edited RunOnceEx.cmd but forgot to mention it to include in the .cmd file which you compile ultimately. Moreover, use START /WAIT %CDROM%\$OEM$\RunOnceEx.Exe instead of START %CDROM%\$OEM$\RunOnceEx.Exe as this will wait untill .EXE instructions get executed completely.

Hope, you're this time lucky!

Added

SET CDROM=

to the top of the list of IF EXIST D:\CD.txt set CDROM=D: and changed the Start %CDROM%.... to START /WAIT %CDROM%......

Now testing again

EDIT: NOPE, failure again.

EDIT: OK Come up with a new plan, using GUIRunOnce in winnt.sif, call RunOnceEx.exe. Force the machine to restart and then RunOnceEx should be called and all apps installed. Just gonna go and test now.

Edited by rikgale

Looking good Martin! Looks smart and unclutered, which is a good thing.

I see that you have allowed check boxes for Msg pop up and protecting 2CD. Can I suggest that in a beta release that you have a pop-up box that when you hover the mouse over check box, explains what it is for. Try and make it id*** proof as possible. Becuase 2CD is a bit ambiguois. You, I and Moon know what it means, but does/will everyone else?

Martin, as you are now using the Drinkware Licence, you'd better stick out like a sore thumb if you ever come to the UK :lol::thumbup So that I can buy you a beer (real beer, not larger).

Moon I think that I have found away round the issue that we had at the weekend, but I have to actually try it before I post what it envolves, and that mite be a few days away, if not further, depends if I am away this weekend.

Hope all is well with the both of you.