New windows appear under taskbar

quinriva

I'm one of those funny people that have my taskbar at the top of the screen but the problem is that when new windows open the taskbar often obscures the top portion of the of the window. This makes the windows difficult to move too, given that there is nowhere to grab the window in order to move it; so I'm stuck using ALT - Space - m - DOWN in order to move the windows. In case this is relevent I have double-height taskbar and use a dual monitor setup.

I tried to take a screenshot, but it just occured to me - when I press printscreen, where does windows save the image?

This behavior appears on "poorly" coded apps that checks "Screen Size" instead of "Client Size".

explorer.exe is definitely not one of those apps : I have my taskbar at the top of the screen since ages, and I had never saw any explorer.exe's window doing what you see...

So it has something to do with the differences between our two configs : my guess is that the "transparency" on the taskbar makes Windows not knowing the taskbar position and thus makes the "Client Size" starting at the top edge of the screen instead of the bottom of the taskbar.

Check with an opaque taskbar to see if I'm right ???

bye

No it was happening before I turned on transparency although I am using the Longhorn conversion pack, which includes a startbar mod - so that's probably the culprit. Anyway it happens with loads of programmes, so I was wondering if anyone has a universal fix. Like a script that will automatically reposition a window lying in the top 64 pixels say?

No it was happening before I turned on transparency

Very strange !

Are you talking about explorer's windows (as in your screenshot), or other programs ?

although I am using the Longhorn conversion pack, which includes a startbar mod - so that's probably the culprit.  Anyway it happens with loads of programmes, so I was wondering if anyone has a universal fix.  Like a script that will automatically reposition a window lying in the top 64 pixels say?

I never saw such a program ! :no:

It will make the system "unstable" since many apps doesn't like to be "modified" by others :}

bye

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem as well but I kind of learned to deal with it...not very hard to deal with anyway...all u have to do is click on the offending window...and you are done.

• 3 months later...

Having your taskbar on the upper part of your desktop is only normal, since menu items naturally "drop down" not roll up. :blink: MS has always been backwards--just like all the other typical "backwards American" stereotypes. English measurement instead of Metric, etcetera... :no:

This problem, not only with MS Help, occurs with some other MS Apps, not that I can readily name any off the top of my head, but this problem has been evident since Win95, since I have always preferred the taskbar on the TOP, assuming I decide to use the windows explorer taskbar and not LiteStep. :unsure:

post-56447-1129402572_thumb.png

I hate this crap. It annoys the heck out of me. :yes:

post-56447-1129402686_thumb.png

Anyone know of any fixes, or is it just what Delprat said about poorly coded apps checking for ScreenSize instead of ClientSize? Somehow I believe this to be a problem with the Explorer taskbar itself, knowing how MS has lots of problems with other things too...LOL

I have my taskbar at the top of the window as well. Especially with a widescreen this is kind of helpful because the height of the screen is not as great as the width of the screen. And yes the menu drops down as nospoon pointed out. If I had the taskbar at the bottom of the screen then I would have to scroll through the Programs list.

I posted this topic about 4 months ago, but I still havn't found an acceptable sollution. I had a look at the program shove-it, but it just doesn't seem right to have to have a sharware background task running just to fix a Windows bug. With a fresh install of windows this problem still occurs, so my conclusion is that it is a general issue with the explorer GUI. The fact that I run dual monitors may futher complicate th issue. Eventually I'll write a letter to Microsoft and see what there suggestion is. Maybe they'll actually know something I don't.