Prob with staticy speakers

WoRdUp48

Hey guys,

I've been coming here a while just mostly browse and pick up info from everyone else. Now I have finally come upon a problem.

Occassionally, as in 4 or 5 times during the course of a day, I will hear an intermittent staticy sound coming from my speakers. It is not a constant sound, just off and on for about 15-20 seconds. Then it goes aways completely (until a few hours later).

At first I thought maybe a cell phone or something else nearby, but nothing has been around all that time that I know of. The environment on my desk always seems to be different.

Anyway, I'm thinking its got to be either the speakers or the soundcard (its actually onboard NForce 2 sound on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo). I can't figure out which though. If anyone can help me on how I might pinpoint the problem, I would appreciate it!

Thanks, and I look forward to your replies.

WoRdUp48

thanks a lot for your reply ripken!!

I currently have my speakers plugged into my UPS, would that stop some of the interference or could the power still be a cause. I'm just in a college apartment, so I'm not sure there is much I can do about the power, but I will look into the sound card.

Anyone else have any advice?

Thanks

clean the speaker contacts with deoxidizing solution (DeOXiT or ProShow) and plug the speakers into a discman and wiggle the cord, to make sure it is not the connection. The fact that it has a somewhat regular interval and not just completely random also would suggest a software issue. Maybe (esp if it's a laptop) it is starting to power down certain hardware devices. Maybe a prog runs when no user activity is is detected and is interfering with the audio.

Also, things like dishwashers, garbage disposals and microwaves can cause interference if your buildings wiring is old or poorly done. Also, if you have a crappy speaker cable or if you have audio and power cables bunched together, that will kill some sound quality if the wire insulation is not thick.

I found my audio cord from my sound card had one of its jacks bent slightly and this was causing a hum, replacing the cord fixed it.

Also try moving your speakers or cords around; magnetic fields near your equipment might be to blame?

Alright, I've got a report...but not quite sure what to make of it.

Last night, I heard that sound even when my PC was powered down. So I did a little test, and when it first starting making that noise again, I pulled to audio jack out of the sound card. I just thought to do that because if it still did it like that, then it probably was something with power.

My guess is that it is the onboard sound, which I'm kinda disappointed about because I heard nothing but good things about the NForce II chipset, and now it gives me this. I suppose a sound card upgrade is in the plans....I'm not sure how good to get one though. Honestly, I do very little gaming, so I don't need great sound, just sound that is nice and doesn't make this static sound :D Any recommendations??

Also, if my logic is flawed here, please help, is the speaker capable of making any sort of sound at all (static, hum, buzz) without it plugged into the sound card, just plugged into power? I don't know

And as far as replacing cords...how do i replace them if the are all hooked to my speakers? I don't have very good electrical knowledge, if I'm supposed to rewire it or something.

Any more advice would be helpful...thank you much for the great advice given thus far!

I look forward to some more!

WoRdUp48

ahh, the wires built into the speakers, i HATE it when they do that, b/c i will usually get top of the lone wires

if all u want is music with the sound card then almost any will do, how much u willing to spend?

• 7 months later...

I also need help with this.

For the last year or so the sound on my comp has been all staticy and annoying like a blown amp. I thought it was the speakers but it also does it when I have headphones on aswell. Everytime I try to listen to music it's difficult because the sounds is all wierd. I don't think it's the sound alltogether. It's just when I move the nob to the volume on the speaker it makes it. It especially does it when I click the thing up from mute to on.

I don't think a new sound card would solve your problem, as you indicate...

Last night, I heard that sound even when my PC was powered down.
...and...
Also, if my logic is flawed here, please help, is the speaker capable of making any sort of sound at all (static, hum, buzz) without it plugged into the sound card, just plugged into power? I don't know
It looks as if there is a significant source of electromagnetic inteference that is inducing small voltages in the speaker cable. This small voltage gets amplified by the speaker amplifier, so that essentially the speakers become a low-frequency radio receiver.

Find out what's causing that interference. There's nothing wrong with your hardware.

It's just when I move the nob to the volume on the speaker it makes it. It especially does it when I click the thing up from mute to on.
Noisy volume control potentiometer, it's common... Don't worry about that unless you're changing the volume all the time. Edited by LLXX