Adobe Reader 7 wtihout Ads, Yahoo-Toolbar, PrintMe

jeeva

Hello everybody

I just read through the german PC-World, and I've found an intersting Article about how to install Adobe Reader 7 without Ads, here is how to do:

1. Get Adobe Reader 7 from www.adobe.com don't use Adobe Download Manager and select the Full Version. You also don't need the Toolbar and the Potoshop Album Starter Edition.

2. Open the file and let Netopsystems decode and unpack the programm.

3. When you see a big Adobe Logo introducing you to setup, don't go further, open an explorer Window and browse to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7\Setup Files\RdrBig\ENG and copy it somewhere else.

4. Copy the attached MST file into the same folder as the setup files of Step 3.

5. Open cmd and browse to your new Adobe install folder.

6. Type

msiexec.exe /i "Adobe Reader 7.0 - English.msi" TRANSFORMS="pcwAR7Transform.mst"

7. Install as usual, after setup start Adobe Reader et vollà, no Ads, no Yahoo Toolbar, and no PrintMe Internet Printing.

Would be a good basis for unattend installs.

NOTE: That method is only tested on a german version of Adobe Reader, if it doesn't work, I'm sorry, then we must modify the mst file.

And if I have chosen the wrong forum, please excuse me.

Hope you have fun with that! Regards

Jeeva

pcwAR7Transform.mst

Nice stuff, but i believe its been covered previously in the forum - maybe thru a different method.

Reg tweaks for example after the install :)

I have a ready-made install of it with the 7.0.1 update intregated and reg tweaks to cut out the ads, etc. - my sig has link to my site where u can get it :) anti-leech sorry

Visit the topic here for more info on the build - main bulk of the build is using this info but with a different wrapper on it.

Sorry to butt-in here :)

Regards,

N.

I saw that, now we all have two possibilities, obviously only in German version.

I don't know if its true, but perhaps you have less disk usage or unneeded stuff on your PC, that what I have seen, is that theres no file removed from the PC with the Reg-Tweak, but with my solution, you can drectly install without it.

But I'm not sure so don't hurt me !!!

EDIT: I read out the mst file and found some Information, for everyone, try to open the mst file with UltraEdit or another Hex-Editor and replace "Adobe Reader 7.0 - Deutsch" with "Adobe Reader 7.0 - English" or other language note to use the language as you would say it in your language, that means use français instead of french or dansk instead of danish, and try to install it again. I couldn't test it 'till now.

Edited by jeeva

I don't know if its true, but perhaps you have less disk usage or unneeded stuff on your PC, that what I have seen, is that theres no file removed from the PC with the Reg-Tweak, but with my solution, you can drectly install without it.

Indeed. They are simply reg merge at the end - part of which is needed for the 7.0.1 intregation.

The other tweaks simply turn off access to the others, but of course, they are still installed I guess but at least this way, the option of turning the features back on again is at your disposal :)

It's all good :) :)

:thumbup

Regards,

N.

it_ybd

Your Acrobat reader installer has the same problem that RyanVM's does. Simply put, you can't change any settings in the reader, as it will prompt you for the .msi file.

For example, start Acrobat reader 7, goto Edit\Properties and in the Properties page, select Internet. Then Uncheck "Display PDF in Browser", it will work its magic and close the Properties page. Now go back into Properties, and put a check in "Display PDF in Browser". It will start to work, then it stops looking for the acroread7.msi file in C:\Temp\7zxxx.

Powerhouse, the only way you could possibly get that message is if you packed the msi in a 7zip archive...hence the 7zxxx after temp...which is normal...norwhere does the original poster say to pack the msi with 7zip...but if you just run the command for the msi during runonceex, it should copy the msi to the correct place...it may not...i dunno...but really all you would have to do is copy the msi over to wherever you want (like the adobe main folder) during your UA, and then you will be able to make changes. That or stop unchecking something and then checking it back on...

Edited by evilvoice

Evilvoice

Your right, the only way to get that message is if the .msi file was packed with 7zip, which both RyamVM and it_ybd used in there installers.

My point wasn't to show that you couldn't uncheck and recheck an item. My point was to show that you can't enable any feature that isn't already checked by default, as the program will try to find the initial install folder which was put under c:\temp, but gets deleted after the first install is finished.

Oh, and just copying the .msi file doesn't work either, it looks for additional files as well.

Edited by Powerhouse

if it does search for more files that arent in the msi, then its a problem with the msi and not with the method of installing...because everything is contained in the msi...from what i can tell jeeva does not physically remove anything from the msi or does any editing to it, so it should be a complete msi, and should contain everything for the program. try jeevas solution...it seems youve tried 2 other peoples, but this looks more into what you want since no edits were done to the msi