How to wrap a .exe/.msi installer in a custom .msi

Hi guys

This might not be totally your department, but I figured you guys might have some experience with what I'm trying to do.

I want to deploy SAP GUI to my users, by assigning the program to the computers that need it via AD GPO. But SAP GUI wont let you install it through its .msi package (and they dont supply a native .msi ...), so I can only deploy it via a .ZAP fil, but then I cant assign the application to computers.

So I have the choice of repacking the application, or simply wrap the hole package in a .msi, which calls the a setup.exe with the right paramters. The first option I know how to perform, but the second I need some advise on.

How do I build/make a .msi package, that just calls a .exe on a network share?

Regards, Egil.

Any particular reason that you are not considering a startup script which is applicable to computers and can be a simple batch file executing whatever u like.

Any particular reason that you are not considering a startup script which is applicable to computers and can be a simple batch file executing whatever u like.

I would like a single way of installing applications, move away from the mixed environment we have now with AD GPO and scripts.

Custom Action... But for application like SAP it is not good solution - I am using logon script with GUID/FileCheck lockdown...

Would you mind elaborating a little on that. What makes SAP "special", and can you describe your solution a bit. And "Custom Action", how, where, and what? :)

Thanks for the input,

Egil.

Custom Action - It's a page in most MSI development suites taht let's you execute custom scripts, call external/internal files and so on.

What you could consider doing, is

A. Create a SFX file.

B. How is the original file not a native MSI? Wrapped in an EXE? If so, the MSI should get extracted to the TEMP folder.

What you probably need is an MSI editor, and look for the launch conditions in the MSI file. Odds are that the msi file is standard, but it has launch conditions set on it to check that you ran it from setup.

Microsoft themselves do this with Visual Studio .NET 2003. I had to remove their launch conditions to make an automated msi install in our environment here.

Without taking a look at SAP itself, I couldn't give you any pointers on what to look for though sorry....

Microsoft had a program called the "MS Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Setup MSI Wrapper". you can use it for other purposes, not just IE6SP1. It's no longer available for download, therefore you might have to contact a MS representative instead.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;810011&sd=tech

A nice guy wrote another program called the Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard v0.0.0.1 (haha) Don't let the version fool you...it's not buggy at all. I've attached it for your reviewing pleasure....only 450k small.

Enjoy!

Hi guys

This might not be totally your department, but I figured you guys might have some experience with what I'm trying to do.

I want to deploy SAP GUI to my users, by assigning the program to the computers that need it via AD GPO. But SAP GUI wont let you install it through its .msi package (and they dont supply a native .msi ...), so I can only deploy it via a .ZAP fil, but then I cant assign the application to computers.

So I have the choice of repacking the application, or simply wrap the hole package in a .msi, which calls the a setup.exe with the right paramters. The first option I know how to perform, but the second I need some advise on.

Regards, Egil.

• 3 years later...

If you want the "MS Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Setup MSI Wrapper" contact me, I have it downloaded.

my mail id is maverick1771@gmail.com

Microsoft had a program called the "MS Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Setup MSI Wrapper". you can use it for other purposes, not just IE6SP1. It's no longer available for download, therefore you might have to contact a MS representative instead.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...011&sd=tech

A nice guy wrote another program called the Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard v0.0.0.1 (haha) Don't let the version fool you...it's not buggy at all. I've attached it for your reviewing pleasure....only 450k small.

Enjoy!

Hi guys

Regards, Egil.