my first server

Hey guys

I have an old computer circa windows 95

a pentium I 200 Mhz 128mb RAM a solid 2Megs of video memory

Instead of throwing it out I decided its time to learn about servers.

I installed windows server 2003 on it and would like to run it as a server at my home for internet sharing, file hosting and windows sharepoint.

This is my first attempt with a server but i am fairly knowledgable with computers so this shouldnt be too hard for me.

If anyone could recommend a place to start reading material on how to accomplish what i want done please let me know.

my first goals are to know what plugs into what? meaning i currently have a cable modem connected to my wireless router which connects the 3 computers in my house. how would i make the server act as the dhcp instead of the router and where would i plug the router? into the server or remain with the modem?

How do i create a domain?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks,

Josh

Let’s see how well I do with this. I am sure the people here will correct me if I am wrong. First, on the router turn off DHCP. Everything still plugs in thru the router though. Now on the server go to administrative tools - manage your server. Add a role and make it a DHCP server. That should work to get DHCP from your router onto your server. Are you trying to make a domain and have your machines log on thru your server onto a domain? If so you should setup a role as a domain controller which will put on active directory to create users ect. You can also make it a file server, print server, mail serve, ect. This is all done thru the administrative tools manage your server. Since your box is so slow I would be careful how many roles you give it though. That is a pretty weak box to use as a server regardless of what it is...

Thanks for the info

i find it interesting that everthing including the server still go through the router

yes it is slow but keep in mind for 10 years ago that was a very solid machine and its been running non stop without a hitch for those 10 years so props to IBM on that one.

i dont need it to be a domain controller so i guess just file server (will that be enough for sharepoint) and internet sharring. each computer already has its own printer and internal mail seems useless to me at this stage. on the router would i declare the server to be "on the net" so i can make vpn connections?

it would be a slow server but you could still turn your windows 2003 server into a web server, ftp,,''

start off by install IIS6 with mysql and go from there ,,

i believe it will handle your ftp but id really limit how many things simultaneous things youd want at one time ,,, most definatly have files on a que of some sort

I installed IIS6.0 and asp.net

i'm having trouble unfortunately installing sharepoint services

it seems to fail during the part of installation where it installs the desktop engine for mysql

Hey guys

I have an old computer circa windows 95

a pentium I 200 Mhz 128mb RAM a solid 2Megs of video memory

Instead of throwing it out I decided its time to learn about servers.

I installed windows server 2003 on it and would like to run it as a server at my home for internet sharing, file hosting and windows sharepoint.

This is my first attempt with a server but i am fairly knowledgable with computers so this shouldnt be too hard for me.

If anyone could recommend a place to start reading material on how to accomplish what i want done please let me know.

my first goals are to know what plugs into what? meaning i currently have a cable modem connected to my wireless router which connects the 3 computers in my house. how would i make the server act as the dhcp instead of the router and where would i plug the router? into the server or remain with the modem?

How do i create a domain?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks,

Josh

I recommend you to use CIS Webserver if you are new to webservers. CIS Webserver is very easy to setup. No knowledge required.

You can get a free domain from www.no-ip.com