• Dell
    • Hp
    • Toshiba
    • emachines
    • acer
    • sony
    • Other (What?)

My Vote: Dell

I'm a build-my-own kind of guy, but I previously worked at a company where we deployed 300 brand new DELL XP Machines (we Ghosted our XP on the machines). As far as desktops go, Dells are great for the business environment. I sat on those PCs for about 2years and had virtually no problems. We also had 2 racks of Dell servers, about 16 units, the only problem we ever had was 1 raid drive failed after 3 weeks, but our gold support got us a new drive in less than 24hrs.

Their laptops are up for discussion, everybody in IT used a Latitude laptop (it was retired sometime in early 2004) and they were crap, especially mine. But from what I heard, the model line was a lemon and it's why they retired. I have a couple friends that use the newer laptops and don't have any problems.

When it comes to business deployment Dell has taken the time not to just build & sell PCs, but actually think over the most efficient way to design the case. You can take dell cases, pop them open, and work on PCs faster than other box designs. Back in the 1990s IBM tried to improve case access but their screw-less models were easy to open but impossible to close. Dell perfected what IBM started, and took the designs inside the case layout too. I haven't touched an IBM desktop made in the past 5yrs so I can't vouch for them.

Edited by travisowens

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for building your own. But then out of the OEms I would vote for alienware and dell as a tie and voodoopc. Voodoopc comes a second though because even compared to Alienwares the price is ridiculous. However they do offer options for 2x Opteron 280s and that makes it performancewise numero uno!