Uninstall Problems : SP 2.0

I needed to uninstall the Unofficial Win98SE Sp 2.0 and encountered the following problems : On one machine (desktop), the screen went completely black / garbled and I had to boot in safe mode and reinstall the service pack. On the other machine (my laptop), the uninstallation went smoothly but on bootup, the taskbar section where the Quck Launch buttons appear was blacked out.

My question is : have others noticed such graphics / display problems when uninstalling the service pack ? Any suggestions how to solve these problems ?

I needed to uninstall the Unofficial Win98SE Sp 2.0 and encountered the following problems : On one machine (desktop), the screen went completely black / garbled and I had to boot in safe mode and reinstall the service pack. On the other machine (my laptop), the uninstallation went smoothly but on bootup, the taskbar section where the Quck Launch buttons appear was blacked out.

My question is : have others noticed such graphics / display problems when uninstalling the service pack ? Any suggestions how to solve these problems ?

Why did you uninstall SP 2.0?

BTW, I have also encountered black background of the taskbar panels (quick launch, desktop) after uninstalling SP 2.0.

Petr

I know that the uninstallation is not good.

I will completely change uninstallation process on the next version [2.1].

Does this mean that I will be able to uninstall previous versions by first installing the new build (2.1) and then uninstalling it ?

Also any advice on why these graphics problems are occurring and any possible solutions ?

BTW, I have also encountered black background of the taskbar panels (quick launch, desktop) after uninstalling SP 2.0.

Petr

I also had the problem of black areas on the taskbar (but NOT on the desktop) when removing gape's SP 2.0 pack. that's because the pack restored the original comctl32.dll from the Win98 SE setup files. I found out about this a week ago. The problem occurs if IE 5.01, 5.5 or IE 6 is installed. Simply restore the comctl32.dll file from the C:\windows\sysbckup folder or restore the comctl32.dll file from the setupw95.cab file of IE6 SP1 by using SFC [system file checker] and reboot. Be sure to also store a copy of the comctl32.dll file from IE6 SP1 unto the Windows\sysbckup folder. That should fix the black area problems on the taskbar.

Win98 se came with comctl32.dll v5.80.2614.3500. IE 5.01 & higher have comctl32.dll v5.81.

perhaps in next release of the SP, it should NOT restore the comctl32.dll file from the Win98se setup files, especially if IE 5.01 or higher is installed under 98se.