cant get USB 2.0 to work

nettic

I was hoping someone could suggest a solution to my problem

It seems that i can't install the usb 2.0 driver.

Whenever i install a usb device i get this warning

"this device can operate faster.. click for a list of faster ports"

but when i chlick it says "the hubs in bold are highspeed..." (see attached pic)

using other USB ports makes no difference, i keep getting the same thing

I've tried updating the driver, but it says no newer drivers exist.

driver date 1/06/2002

driver version 5.1.2600.0

if anyone could help i'd be really greatful!

post-56223-1116225903_thumb.jpg

just a thought but are you plugging it into the front usb port's on your pc?

what happens when you plug the device into the back usb ports on the motherboard?

I've seen this happen on some machines.

Also, the screenshot indicates that the device is USB 2 but not the USB ports themselves btw

Regards and welcome to MSFN.

Nath.

I had a similar problem with my MSI board that had both USB 1.1 and USB 2 ports on it. All the ports ran at 1.1 unless I disabled the 1.1 ports in BIOS, then the USB 2 ports would work but my keyboard would not be recognized until I got into Windows, since the BIOS only recognized the 2 USB 1.1 ports for the keyboard. I then bought a Microsoft keyboard that had both USB and PS/2 connectors on it. Since I was running so short on ports anyway, I bought an $8 USB 2 PCI card. Then the machine only recognized the four ports on the PCI card. I was really mad, anyway, I lived with it for a while, did a reformat, and had the same problems. Then a friend introduced me to the Knoppix Linux CD. Under it, the USB 2 ports on the motherboard started to work again. I went into BIOS and reactivated the 1.1 ports on the motherboard and then they all worked fine. So I knew the problem was Windows related. In the end, I belive it was a combination of Service Pack 2 and new VIA motherboard drivers that got them all working properly within Windows. So I'd search for motherboard drivers from outside sources if you must.