Error message at 34 minute mark

While installing x64, I get an error message at the 34 minute mark stating there is a "Machine Check Error". It always happens at the same point. The install will finish, but the problems remains. The error ID # is 120, and the source is: "WMIxWDM". According to MS, they have no more info at this time concerning this error message.

I've got the system stripped down to the bare essentials. I'm running an Asus P5AD2ED with the latest bios, 2 gigs of Crucial, an Asus EN6800GT, and a Maxtor drive. I've doubled checked the bios settings. The system is new, and was tested with an XP home unattended cd a couple days ago, which loaded fine. UT2004 was played hard for quite awhile just to load the sytem down--CPU only got to 109f, and the memory modules were barely warm to the touch. Has anyone else experienced this glitch? (and I'm sorry if this question is already posted, as I did look first).

what version of x64 are you trying to install?

are you overclocking?

i noticed that you have 2 gigs of memory how many sticks? are you filling all of the slots?

are you installing to a sata or ide drive?

Thanks for getting back to me. I've been trying to find some more info....I'm using "final" version 5.2.3790.1830. No overclocking, no frills. I have 4 sticks of Crucial 512, all tested with memtest86...I did try it with just 2 sticks, but it didn't matter. The drive is a formatted single sata Maxtor. The error starts at 34--it'll still load if you leave the message as is...if you do click "ok" on it, the error reappears. During the loading, the error has a red/white x icon--eventlog description as follows:

Source: WMIxWDM Category: none Event ID: 120

"Machine Check Event reported is a fatal memory hierarchy error

Transaction Type 2

Memeory Hierarchy Level 1

Request Type 8

Address: 1034389248"

After x64 is loaded, I get an error message with the yellow icon w/ exclamation point--description as follows: (*note that this error pops up about every 3-4 min)

Source: WMIxWDM Category: none Event ID: 106

"Machine Check Event reported is a corrected error

For more information, see Help and Support Center"......which takes me to a support page with the previous info except they list another entry as follows:

"Symbolic Name: MCA_WARNING_UNKNOWN_NO_CPU"

Hmmm...that CPU cranked out UT2004 earler in the day when I had XP Home installed, and without any hiccups, so I'm a bit confused with this one.

i can't find your motherboard anywhere, are you sure of the model no.?

what chipset does it have?

what processor is that?

what power supply do you have?

it might be a bad x64 iso or burn, did you download it?

PyrO, the full mobo listing is : Asus P5AD2-E Deluxe with Intel 925XE chipset...the processor is a P4 775socket 3.0g 630 J series (64bit/2mb cache)...the power supply is an Antec 550 "true" power...and I'm using a brand new "right out of the package" Win64 OEM cd straight from Newegg.com...There are no peripherals or anything else hooked up.

Ahhh an intel chip, i don't really know much about pentium systems.

the was a guy on planetamd64 who was having similar problems(no cpu errors), i just pm'd him, asking if he'd managed to sort it out, and this was the response i got:

No, not quite. At the moment it hasn't done it in a few days, but normally once I reboot the problem starts again.

and someone else said swapping motherboards worked, but these are AMD systems, and so i don't know how much relevance they would have.

there are posts saying it's related to video/graphics cards.

it could even be your sata drivers

can you try an ide drive?

have you tried swapping memory slots?

have you checked your voltages?

probably a stupid question, but have you plugged in the little square 4pin power connector by the cpu/backplate?

also on the asus website, i can't see your memory in the list of compatible sticks.

there does seem to be a few people with these problems on AMD and Intel systems

you could do with being able to swap componenets out(graphics card, memory, psu, etc.) if you could do this you could eliminate each component separately.

i'd begin to wonder if it was a hardware problem/compatibility(possibly motherboard cpu or memory, but since you said you tested the memory)

maybe start sending emails to support at asus, intel and microsoft

Interesting...I too notice some irregularities with the error message. It always triggers when the activation icon pops up--but at other odd times too...earlier, it went about an hour with no problem. I loaded VMware5, and Win2000 into that--no error messages. I have a ton of mobo's, but unfortunately not an extra DDR2 to test with. Voltage is good (and yes the plug is in). I do have another pci-x video card I could try--I'll try an IDE drive too. I went to Crucial (before I got the memory), where that model mobo is listed, and they "guarantee this particular memory will work with is mobo". I'm using the "buggy" machine right now--no errors except the one when the activation icon first popped up...I don't want to activate it until I find the problem and know all the components are stable.

Well, I tried everything I could think of, including the ideas of PyrO and others to no avail. :( I spent a good bit of time at Microsoft support looking over error codes...most point to a mobo bios problem and simply say to update it--which is what I did when the problem first occured. The mobo works most excellent with XP Home in it, so for the time being, it looks like I'll have to "try and get along" with being able to use Alcohol 120%, TrendMicro, and all my "right click menu" programs again. :rolleyes:

Has Asus tested the Cruical memory for your MB? Is it listed in the tested memory list?

I have found following the recomended Asus memory choices have led to working systems each time.

Not all memory is created equal. Cruical is great memory but you never know until you swap it out.

Asus list the Crucial 256mb module, while Crucial list both 265mb and the 512mb modules for this model motherboard--and Crucial guarantees both of those particular modules to work with this particular motherboard--or your money back.

Hopefully, I'll get a few more components in a couple weeks or so--start changing parts around, and see what's causing the problem.

That's a kick...I was at the Asus site looking at different memory, and noticed the Crucial DDR2 533 was no longer in the memory QVL--(the Ballistix is still there). Crucial still list both 256 and 512 as compatible with my mobo. I sent off for a couple sticks of Kingston--that is on the Asus QVL. If that works, then fine--if not, I'll try changing something else.

I tried the Kingston memory (that is on the Asus QVL), and---no change. Still get the error messages. That's OK...try some new components like the CPU or mobo here in another week or so...at least I've already got the extra memory for it.