x64...I wouldn't get too excited--yet

I just got the final OEM version from Newegg...it does not come with a preinstall cd as pictured, and unlike two mainstream software reviewers claim, it does in fact have to be activated. I loaded it onto a machine--already setup for 64bit-- that worked fine with 32 bit. It was a vanilla install--no extra flavors--no custom winnt.sif file--nothing but straight install...I got a ton of error messages , "Machine check errors", and "memory hierarchy" error messages (remember, the machine was fine with 32bit) Clicking the error message links you a MS database, where you're greeted with "no information available for that error message". Kind of hard to get software vendors excited about supporting x64, when MS itself is, shall we say, somewhat lacking.

I lean toward user error.

unlike two mainstream software reviewers claim, it does in fact have to be activated.

Why wouldn't it? ALL XP versions need to be activated unless they're VLK. Even OEM versions are activated, just differently then retail version. The OEM versions have a OEMBIOS.BIN file that locks the preloaded activation to the machine it was intended for, otherwise normal activation via internet or phone is required.

I agree on both accounts :) The activation story sounded strange at best, but I did see it in print. No doubt, there is some user error going on too. :blushing: As to the one error message about "memory hierarchy". I'd appreciate any light you could shed on that. I woudn't think it'd be the machine memory, as UT2004 can crank for hours without a glitch. Thanks.