Windows 2000 Professional

Hello All,

I have just installed windows2000 professional on my pc, after installing and updating the windows with the given security updates, i restarted the machine, then updated internet explorer, now when i logged back in, Windows update site won't open....

Before installing this I installed XP professional and it did the same, now when i try to install Norton Antivirus it says Windows Installer can't be accessed.

Its like the 3rd installation in the day i have done to get either XP or win2k going, In Win XP, Norton was installed and it said the machine is infected with W32 Spy worm.bot or something. i removed all the files but still...

Any Help , Suggesstions ?

Much appreciated

Thanks and regards

Mutahir

Have you considered installing your Operating System, then install your AntiVirus/Anti Spyware applications and only then go on the Internet to update Windows?? ;)

@FAT64 is right. :)

I've seen this many times - if there isn't a NAT router to "protect" you from the outside world until you've installed a FW (and maybe an AV), your computer can have its first virus in less than a minute. Even if you just boot it up and don't touch it.

So: pull the network cable, set up your OS with a firewall, and don't use blank passwords. :)

Best regards

Gurgelmeyer

Thanks to both of you :)

it has worked so far and i just used Adaware SE to kill some adwares in safe mode andjust installed SP4 as well.

one question...

once on these forums someone told a command line which we can use to see what PID is associated to what program or something like that ..

was that a switch in netstat...? i have forgotten..:)

would be glad if u cud remind me

thanks and regards ...

Mutahir

Hello Gurgelmeyer,

You know, when u can see which Process is associated with which connection or listening to what port on the cmd prompt...

i think it tells us which process is connected or is being used by which of our internet application or something like that....it exists i know but iam having problems to explain it :)

i have forgotten that switch.........

Thanks and regards

Mutahir

netstat -a

It doesn't give any PID's though - only listening/active connections (protocol, machine, port). But that's the only built-in command that comes to mind I'm afraid. Check out the links from it_ybd - those proggies got PID's :yes: