A table for Updates & Hotfixes

Hi erpdude8.

I think Gape has explained it well - there is no policy of not including WinME files, there is a policy of not including files that require additional license.

Gape's service pack tries to contain all Win98 SE updates and hotfixes that were created by Microsoft for Windows 98 SE. And this is hotfix released by Microsoft for Windows 98 SE. To abide this rule, it has to be included, there should be no exceptions.

Petr

Petr, Q314941 is NOT a hotfix, it's a security update. Like I said on another thread, do NOT confuse hotfixes with updates from now on. Hotfixes are hardly posted on the web and usually obtainable by contacting MS support while updates are available online.

Read MS article 824684 on the terminology used to described Microsoft software updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684/

might have been a little harsh on whether to include Q314941 or not, Gape. just go right on ahead. who am I to stop you? just got confused on the WinME version file thingy.

I recently viewed the Q314941 Win98 patch in Wordpad and it mentions the icsdclt.dll file. This patch HAS to detect the presence of the icsdclt.dll file in the Windows\System folder or the patch will not work. I bet that file is from the XP-based ICS Client. only way you can install that is to network your W98 PC with an XP computer. meaning connect your Win98 PC to an XP PC, then set Win98 as the "host" computer and XP as the "client" computer and enable ICS on the XP machine.

so for Q314941 Win98 update to actually install the updated files, the icsdclt.dll file must already be installed on a Win98 computer.

BTW, I downloaded the revised root certificates update here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/rootsupd.exe

and view its contents in Winzip, and the files inside are dated 1/26/2005. So this patch is newer than the one included in Gape's W98se SP 2.0. This newly revised patch should also be featured in the next release of the SP.

* Q314941 - ssdpapi.dll, ssdpsrv.exe, upnp.dll (Checking of XP ICS client installation is required)

I have a better idea, Gape! Why not include the whole XP ICS Client for Win98 addon onto your next release of your SP instead of including Q314941? Why I ask? Because when I copied the netsetup.exe file (CLASYS was telling me about in his email to me on how to create an install disk that installs upnp under Win98) from the Windows\System32 folder of my bro's XP SP2 machine onto a floppy disk, insert disk onto my neighbor's Win98se PC and ran the netsetup.exe file, it not only installed the XP ICS Client but also the updated ssdpapi.dll, ssdpsrv.exe & upnp.dll files. The XP ICS Client does have that required icsdclt.dll file that was needed in order for the Win98 Q314941 patch to work. :)

ssdpapi.dll was version 4.90.3003.0 dated 8/4/2004

ssdpsrv.exe was version 4.90.3003.0 dated 7/17/2004

upnp.dll was version 4.90.3003.0 dated 8/4/2004

The XP SP2 version of netsetup.exe contained those files.

...or if you use the original XP release version of netsetup.exe on a Win98 machine, it'll install the XP ICS Client with the security flawed files and will require the Win98 Q314941 patch. Microsoft updated the netsetup.exe file for XP to include the Q314941 fix. The fix is already included in the XP SP1 & SP2 editions of netsetup.exe.

If you want, Petr and Gape, email me and I can send you the netsetup.exe file that contains the XP SP2 version of the xp-ics client for Win98/ME [YAY! WOO-HOO! WHOOPEEEE!] :D:thumbup

If you want, Petr and Gape, email me and I can send you the netsetup.exe file that contains the XP SP2 version of the xp-ics client for Win98/ME [YAY!  WOO-HOO!  WHOOPEEEE!]  :D  :thumbup

Good idea!

Can you send it to me? You know my email adress.

Hmm, this is weird. What does Microsoft says about this?

You still have to get an XP license for using the Windows XP network wizard. I'll suggest you to use the Windows 98 SE Hotfix, even if the files are the same as the Windows ME version.