integrate retail XP Pro into OEM XP Home

I dont see what you mean, I dont think its possible to make XP home into XP pro if thats what you mean. If you have both why not just install one or the other?

i have a dell laptop so i just want to be sure that all the necessary dell files are included in the install but I want my OS to be XP PRO since the DELL cd came with XP Home. it's like upgrading to XP Pro unattended.

can i just replace the OEM cd's I386 to the I386 of the XP Pro? or do i need to fix some files. thanks!

thanks

There is a clause in Windows XP Pro that does allow you to install it on a laptop if the PC you use is only for you and the laptop is too. When it comes time to enter the license key for the laptop you simply need only use the phone option to activate it and notify them that you are installing it on your personal laptop and you already have it on your personal PC. You can check your EULA and find the information.

There is a clause in Windows XP Pro that does allow you to install it on a laptop if the PC you use is only for you and the laptop is too.  When it comes time to enter the license key for the laptop you simply need only use the phone option to activate it and notify them that you are installing it on your personal laptop and you already have it on your personal PC.  You can check your EULA and find the information.

sorry about that but I only have a laptop. so the OEM XP Home is from Dell that came with the laptop and I want to upgrade the XP Home with the retail XP Pro that I got and that this XP Pro had not been installed/used in another PC.

copy these files from xp pro cd from \i386 onto the WinXP home CD into the same dir

they wil convert your DELL version of win xp home into the XP pro

egres, do i have do mod some files (like the welcome/"now installing" page) to reflect the XP Pro and while we're at it, do i need to modify anything from the DELL OEM file? when i looked at it, it looked like it was only dependent on items inside the OEM folder.

thanks!

under the EULA you're not allowed to change one OS into another. This would be classified as reverse engineering amongst others

@simon_ibarra

You're going through alot of trouble to get this to work. Have you even thought of just downloading the drivers fromt eh Dell website, and just add them to your Pro disc?

If you continue down this path, you violate your OEM EULA. Just use your Pro disc on the laptop.

alanoll,

will i miss anything if i just install xp pro instead of dell's oem xp home? i think they have some software that handles dell laptops, i think...

btw, why is it illegal? i'm not changing the os, i'm just upgrading it, like slipstream where u upgrade the service pack...but it looks like it's impossible to do it anyway(slipstream xp pro into xp home), from what i've read so far...

and so,

can i just create my own OEM unattended cd? can i just copy the OEM folder from the DELL cd?

btw, why is it illegal? i'm not changing the os, i'm just upgrading it, like slipstream where u upgrade the service pack...but it looks like it's impossible to do it anyway(slipstream xp pro into xp home), from what i've read so far...
But it is illegal. You're changing the OS from one version to another. Service packs you're changing revisions.
will i miss anything if i just install xp pro instead of dell's oem xp home? i think they have some software that handles dell laptops, i think...

You may miss alot of the software previously installed (like alot of Ads and trial software). What files you need you should be able to download fromt he Dell Support website and add them to your install routin.