netscape 6.2

python134r

Netscape 6.2 (and Mozilla 0.9.7) both load faster than IE if using the turbo startup mode (you can enable this in the preferences menu, or during install)

Basically, it does what IE does. It loads itself in memory, then when you start it, it just takes an instant. IE does this when Windows boots. Which is why its never really fair to compare IE startup time to something. But Mozilla does this too, and then can beat IE at startup times. Try it.

I start my browser (IE) and it loads fast. Everything works not matter what. After paying $200.00 for XP I think the broswer should be free anyway. Wouldn't it be another pain in the backside if we had to install a browser after installing an operating system considering the money spent on the operating system. Not to mention the time it takes to install a browser and all the personal selections like skins, search engines, etc.

MSNwar - The FatMan

I agree with Conan. Also consider that many of the posts are made by experienced computer users that use tweaked browsers as well as tweaked systems.

Nothing really surprises me more than to hear from someone (private emails) that their system is slow when they installed a heavy laiden application (Microsoft Office with everything on it) on a PII 266 or less. Web surfing is not only slow when lines are busy but also when a the PC cannot keep up with an open browser, three or four web XXXsitesXXX loading, messenging, and a game session. All connected to a scanner, printer, running on a system with a video card that uses system RAM, etc.

A minimal of a 1 GHz system with 256 Mb RAM running XP is my recommendation if/when a person decides to do all of this at once. If the specs are out-of-your-budget then consider the XP User Interface options. Configure at least one User configuration with only bare bone resources running on a low end system by excluding M$ Office (Use Wordpad instead for saved notes), disable the scanner and other external hardware devices in the User configuration for starters. Replace any video card that relies on system RAM and graphic sites performance will improve to your benefit. The list could go on and on but you get the idea.

MSNwar - The FatMan