Windows 98/ME support for hardware and software

Link21

Should Windows 98/ME still be supported by hardware and software manufacturers  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should Windows 98/ME still be supported by hardware and software manufacturers

• Yes
    • No
    • Definitely Yes, Windows 98/ME are great and quality OSes
    • NO WAY!! 98/ME are junk OSes. It ought to be 2K/XP only by now
    • Depends on the situation
    • It's hard to say

Support for Windows 98 was discontinued as of January 1st, 2006. WinME is no longer supported and I believe Windows 2000 will no longer be supported by mid-2006.

Actually, I believe Windows 2000 will be supported until June 2010. It is in the extended support phase though. This support is from MS though.

We also have to consider the support from third party software and hardware manufacturers.

Unfortunately economics sometimes are against that and we, w98 users suffer from the obligation to install low-performance XP-based drivers because everybody knows that XP mean low-performance.

Only ignorant people think Windows XP mean low performance!! Windows XP means high solid performance with a good quality kernel. If you strip out all the bloat, Windows XP has very high performance.

Linux means extremely high performance, even higher than Windows 2000/XP.

Windows 98/ME means low performance. Windows 98/ME operating systems are pieces of junk compared to other 32-bit operating systems. Why do you think NVIDIA released drivers for Linux for the GeForce 7800 series video cards but not for Windows 98/ME? It isn't only economics being against Windows 98 users. If they were only trying to do a nod to Microsoft and only drive support based on economics, they would have released drivers for only Windows 2000/XP and above and no non-MS operating systems. But they also released drivers for Linux inclduing SLI support. That should tell you that they didn't release drivers for Windows 98/ME because they are bad opertaing systems that can't handle PCI-Express motherboards. And the GeForce 7800 video card is only available in PCI-Express! :D:D

Economics are against you because Windows 98/ME are bad operating systems. They have a horrible core!!

Only ignorant people think Windows XP mean low performance!! Windows XP means high solid performance with a good quality kernel. If you strip out all the bloat, Windows XP has very high performance.
Even after nLiting, it's a sluggish elephant compared to a virgin 98se install.
Linux means extremely high performance, even higher than Windows 2000/XP.
Linux is comparable to 2K/XP but much more complex and difficult to maintain.
Windows 98/ME means low performance. Windows 98/ME operating systems are pieces of junk compared to other 32-bit operating systems. Why do you think NVIDIA released drivers for Linux for the GeForce 7800 series video cards but not for Windows 98/ME? It isn't only economics being against Windows 98 users. If they were only trying to do a nod to Microsoft and only drive support based on economics, they would have released drivers for only Windows 2000/XP and above and no non-MS operating systems. But they also released drivers for Linux inclduing SLI support. That should tell you that they didn't release drivers for Windows 98/ME because they are bad opertaing systems that can't handle PCI-Express motherboards. And the GeForce 7800 video card is only available in PCI-Express! :D:D

Economics are against you because Windows 98/ME are bad operating systems. They have a horrible core!!

Win9x being low performance? Quite possibly ME, but definitely not 95/98/98se. They are fast and efficient. In fact, if you took an nLited XP and changed all the icons, names, themes, etc. so that it looked exactly like 98se, you'd still feel the difference. The NT-series of OSs have a distinctly higher response time and sluggishness that is very apparent. I've tried this before, so I know.

Regarding driver support, I am quite surprised to see that some hardware manufacturers actually have realmode DOS drivers, regularly updated, for their newest products.

Edited by LLXX

Come lets see more votes to NO support for Windows 98/ME.

ANother vote towards the bad poll option stating support for junker Windows 98/ME :(:(:(:(

Come on lets see some more votes for no support for junker Windows 98/ME. The results of this poll so far are extremely discouraging!!

Trash Windows 98/ME already!!!

Edited by Link21

Hello!

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/windows/0...39246991,00.htm

Microsoft has faced criticism on support expiration in the past. The company extended partial support for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows Millennium Edition until June 30, 2006, after complaints from users of the operating system software.
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/21/0041209
I am currently working on a website for a small organization. We (I am not alone in this) have a beta version ready, and are currently testing the site on browsers. We have tried all of the big browsers (Firefox, IE, opera), as well as other browsers, such as lynx, links, w3m and even NetFront. So, when can one decide that they will stop supporting a system. Obviously, going (for example) down to IE 1 is crazy, but is IE 3 crazy? This is not only relevant to web design but to any programming at all. When, for example, can you say that I will *not* support a certain version of Windows. Can you say that now about Windows 98? How about 95?"

BTW, this company still develops 16-bit Windows software:

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=9511

Cheers, Roman

:thumbup yes support is good.say yes to 98se and win a link21 is a moron t-shirt.

Say no to almost all software support to Windows 98!!

The only exception should be proprietary software that is specifically designed for old anicent systems out there. But for eveyrone else, Windows 98/ME needs to die for good!!

Games and other software shouldn't support Windows 98/ME at all!! The only exception should be low end old school educational games that can run on a low end 8-9 year old PC.

• 2 weeks later...

ANother vote towards the bad poll option stating support for junker Windows 98/ME :(:(

Come on lets see some more votes for no support for junker Windows 98/ME. The results of this poll so far are extremely discouraging!!

Zip it!!! :realmad:

ANother vote towards the bad poll option stating support for junker Windows 98/ME :(:(

I didn't ask for your opinion. I want to see more people vote to trash Windows 98/ME. Unfortunately its people like you that have caused software performance to suffer the past 5 years because developers have had to retain backwards compatibility with piece of junk operating systems like Windows 98/ME. Because people like you are Windows 98SE obsessers and lovers that live in this fantasy world where they blindly believe Windows 98SE is the best version of Windows ever made, even when it is not. It is called the tremednous differences in the OS architecture and the kernel! They think that Windows XP and Windows 2000 are just newer operatng systems based on Windows 98SE. That is completely untrue though. Windows NT is a whole differnet based OS and has nothing to do with Windows 98/ME! All applications written for Microsoft made operating systems should have been for NT only at least the past 2 years. A lot of applications written for the Microsoft made operating systems should have been NT only for at least the past four years.

Edited by Link21

I didn't ask for your opinion. I want to see more people vote to trash Windows 98/ME. Unfortunately its people like you that have caused software performance to suffer the past 5 years because developers have had to retain backwards compatibility with piece of junk operating systems like Windows 98/ME. Because people like you are Windows 98SE obsessers and lovers that live in this fantasy world where they blindly believe Windows 98SE is the best version of Windows ever made, even when it is not. It is called the tremednous differences in the OS architecture and the kernel! They think that Windows XP and Windows 2000 are just newer operatng systems based on Windows 98SE. That is completely untrue though. Windows NT is a whole differnet based OS and has nothing to do with Windows 98/ME! All applications written for Microsoft made operating systems should have been for NT only at least the past 2 years. A lot of applications written for the Microsoft made operating systems should have been NT only for at least the past four years.

It's not my fault that software performance sucks. It's their fault, especially if they require Internet Explorer just for the software to run!!

Also, NT-based Windows versions have a tendency to take RAM alway from games.

It's not my fault that software performance sucks. It's their fault, especially if they require Internet Explorer just for the software to run!!

Also, NT-based Windows versions have a tendency to take RAM alway from games.

Software shouldn't require IE just to run. They can make it NT only and not require IE to run. Software should be written for real operating systems, not Windows 9X which is just an MS-DOS 7.1 and MS-DOS 8.0 GUI application, just like Windows 3.1 was a GUI application for MS-DOS 6.22. MS-DOS is dead. The future of PCs is in Linux, and Windows NT falvored operating systems.

How exactly do you define a "real operating system"?

DOS qualifies as an operating system, in fact.

The most important program that runs on a computer. Every general-purpose computer must have an operating system to run other programs. Operating systems perform basic tasks, such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the display screen, keeping track of files and directories on the disk, and controlling peripheral devices such as disk drives and printers.

Doesn't look like the poll results are in your favor, huh Link. lol, I actually thought more would be in favor of having 98/Me trashed, but I guess I was wrong luckily. Perhaps more people have gotten a more open minded view of software, such as not judging OS's by age and kernel, but more on their own opinion and experiences.