XP SP2 Troubleshooting

IRON FART

I have a big problem with XP SP2. I cannot play ANY video files what so ever. I can't play .mov, .avi, mpg, asf, .wmv or any other movie file you can think of regardless of what player I use.

I cannot start any games.

And I don't *think* I can run all of the DirectX tests.

If I do any of these things, windows will freeze, followed by my mouse and the system will beep once. Music will still play for a little bit. My screen will soon black out and say that I need to check the signal cable, and then the computer will reboot and work fine until I do one of these things again.

Any ideas?

Everything works like a charm except if I try and do anything graphicallt based. I don't think I can view pages with java applets in them. If I try to integrate a hotfix, driver of service pack with nLite, this same thing will happen. Other programs such as Photoshop and Word work fine though.

If you need more info, ask. :)

P3 1GHz

384MB RAM

WinXP Pro SP2

DirectX 9.0C

eVGA FX5200 128MB

Abit VH6T motherboard

(Yes, I know my system is old, but I'm working on a new one)

TIA

for start-

try reinstalling your video drivers..

or try

-uninstall vga drivers

-shutdown PC

-remove vga card and reseat it (thermal creap)

-reboot, reinstall drivers

-could be the vga is overheating- any fans on it?

-make sure all fans in system are working

--^ also what matt5108 asked....

Try going into the BIOS and changing the AGP Aputure (Spelling?) to 32mb and see if it helps

When did it start? did you have xp sp2 installed for a while?

or just installed it?

any hardware upgrades?

any overclocking?

My AGP Aperature setting is what it should be (128).

I originally had Windows 2000 Pro, then I reformatted and installed XP SP2. Then I had the exact problems described in the first post.

--But here is where it gets wierd--

I did a clean install of Windows 2000 - exactly what I had before - and the problems remained. I still had the exact same problems, even though I did a full reinstall of 2000.

My CPU is slightly overclocked. It is a P3 866MHz and I overclocked it to around 1000 something MHz. It runs at about the same temperature as when it wasn't overclocked.

for start-

try reinstalling your video drivers..

or try

-uninstall vga drivers

-shutdown PC

-remove vga card and reseat it (thermal creap)

-reboot, reinstall drivers

I'm gonna try that right now.

I would definatly look at heat.

If your power supply has a "fan only" connectory, make sure it's not bad. Basically, look to see if your fans are spinning.

It's possible that it's your CPU fan, but I would expect it to be your graphics fan. It's got to be running a bit toasty with any overclock, so I would expect it to crash sooner if it were the CPU. Double then triple check the fan on your video card.

Are you able to get 16/24bit color? or are you stuck in a really low color mode?

I've had a problem similar to this before as well. I was overclocking, not much, probably about as much as you. The temp reading was the same, but the computer would crash randomly. I had to install some more fans. For a quick fix, I opened the side door of my case and stuck a house fan in there to try and cool it off.

Actually, the problem was not overheating at all. My computer runs quite cool.

Good News: I fixed the problem.

In my original of Windows 2000, I overclocked my Graphics card slightly. In my new install of XP, XP was telling the card to run at default frequencies, but the card was still running at the faster frequencies. I fixed that conflict and now my computer runs like a dream!

Thank you very much :)