Managing The Computer Through A Web Based Frontend

what3v3r

Is there a (preferably PHP/Apache based, open source) solution out there that lets me control my Windows PC through a Web based frontend? As stated in the title i would like to start applications, Restart the computer, end applications, view logs and stuff like that.

i know that there are a some web based remote desktop solutions around, but this is supposed to eat up as little bandwidth as possible.

The only solid solution I am aware of is the Remote Desktop Web Connection. Remote Desktop Web Connection is a Web application consisting of a COM component and a sample connection page. When you deploy Remote Desktop Web Connection on a Web server, you can provide client connectivity to Terminal Servers and other computers using Internet Explorer and TCP/IP.

Windows Server 2003: Windows Server 2003 includes an updated Remote Desktop Web Connection that supports RDP 5.2 and is backward compatible with RDP 5.1 and 5.0.

Windows XP: Windows XP includes Remote Desktop Web Connection, which is an updated version of the TSAC. Remote Desktop Web Connection supports RDP 5.1 and is backward compatible with RDP 5.0.

Windows 2000: The release of the Terminal Services Advanced Client (TSAC) as a ValueAdd component on Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP1, extends Terminal Services technology to the Web. The Terminal Services client-side application only needs Microsoft Internet Explorer, a connection to the World Wide Web, and appropriate rights to view Microsoft ActiveX controls. The TSAC supports Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 5.0.

ive already heard of these remote desktop web connections, but from what i know about them, they need much bandwidth.

i also tried to deploy them twice, at home but i could never log in. i did everything by the book but my credentials were always refused.

what i have in mind is very simple: for starters: you have a form field, type in a console command, an it is executed on the server.

of course, to do just this, telnet/ssh would be a better alternative.

as i said, i would like to also view logs, maybe execute certain preconfigured command lines by clicking a link for example.

just like the web-interface for a router. you can configure it, restart it, change its IP, etc.

i use vnc to do this, forward port 5800 or 5900 (can't remember which, i'll check later, pretty sure its 5800) on your home pc

then in IE (on client pc) go to http://IPADDRESS:5800

bring a java based front end up :)

thank you for this suggestion, i enabled the java viewer. set it to port 8888 but all i get is a "page cannot be displayed" error.

i restarted the service, changed the port three times, disabled my firewall. nothing worked... :}

anyway, its not exactly what i had in mind, but if nothing else comes up i will propably use this if i ever get it to work that is :yes:

If you were running linux, I'd say use Webmin (http://www.webmin.com). You may have to assemble a few different tools to get the job done.

The alleged high bandwidth consumption issue is just that--alleged. You take up just as much bandwidth or more surfing any web site.

If you want a full-featured solution, go with RDP Web Connection. VNC sucks--it's free, but the screen refresh is choppy at best. It's like playing Doom 3 on a 64MB GeForce MX400.

im forced to use a proxy at work. and RDP doesnt get through. neither does VNCs java client by the way. thats wy i need this web based solution. i need to authenticate to use this proxy and i guess the java client cant handle the authentication, or it it simply ignores the proxy settings in IE.

Remote Desktop Web Connection -- there isn't anything else that meets your requirements

ok, i might just try it again. is there any fool proof guide on how to set it up, with the right permissions and stuff?

@compster:

maybe ill try this too. thank you for bringing it up.

Remote Desktop Web Connection -- there isn't anything else that meets your requirements

ok, i might just try it again. is there any fool proof guide on how to set it up, with the right permissions and stuff?

@compster:

maybe ill try this too. thank you for bringing it up.

Here's a decent link to setup information:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up_03may16.mspx

ok, i just played around with the remote desktop web connection, and i think it wont work, either.

because for the activex plugin to work it needs to connect to the remote port 3389 it also ignores the proxy settings, and tries to connect directly. i dont think the firewall at work will allow this.

when i block 3389 with the local firewall the remote desktop "web" connection is immediately terminated.

why is microsoft calling it "web" connection if it doesnt use port 80? if i could connect to any port i wouldnt use the web connection in the first place. compatibility with other OS can also not be the issue here, since activex plugins only work in IE as far as i know. for me, this makes the remote desktop web connection completely redundant. :realmad:

sorry for the rant but i just had to get this out :whistle: