Symantec Ghost problem

TiXer

I'm trying to take an image of a pc using Symantec Ghost 8.0. This pc has 2 partition; one with 4GB and one with 31GB. (Don't ask why) I've taken images of similar pcs before and this has worked like a charm, but now it stops everytime it's about to start on the second partition! The error is: "Read sector failure, result = 1, drive = 0, sectors 2061783 to 2961847."

The last time I encountered this problem it was because the second partition wasn't formatted, but this time that can't be tha case. I'm 120% sure it's formatted.

Any tips on what I can do? :}

Hi sumukh,

I've read through it, and I don't think this would have helped anyways. In this text it's Norton ghost which is described and I'm using Symantec ghost 8.0. Symantec Ghost has a different prosedure after what I can tell, and I know it's not an error in the setup on the pc I take the image from. I've done this alot the last year, so that I'm sure of. After I reinstalled the pc, taking an image worked just fine, and I later discovered that the cd I used on that pc made other errors on other pcs, so I don't think it had anything to do with the Ghos program.

But thanks anyway.. :hello:

TiXer

• 2 weeks later...

If you are making a image of an existing hard drive have you tried any switches? Also did you disjoin the computer from the domain? Also try runing an integrity check on the hard drive.

Hope this helps.

Have you been able to by-pass the ghost wanting to make a 2 disk set? I need to make a ghost multicast boot disk and then make a bootable CDROM using Roxio. Problem is Roxio will only use 1 disk to creat the bootimg.bin file...

Send me any ideas you might have.

If you are making a image of an existing hard drive have you tried any switches?  Also did you disjoin the computer from the domain?  Also try runing an integrity check on the hard drive.

The pc wasn't connected to our domain, so that wasn't the fault.. I still think it was a problem with the to partitions and that the error occored during the installation of Windows.. The pc works like a charm now, when I reinstalled it.. :) Thanx for the tips though.. I'll remember it if I encounter the same thing again!

I need to make a ghost multicast boot disk and then make a bootable CDROM using Roxio.  Problem is Roxio will only use 1 disk to creat the bootimg.bin file...

I don't use Roxio, so afraid I can't help you there..! Sorry.. :}

Have you been able to by-pass the ghost wanting to make a 2 disk set? I need to make a ghost multicast boot disk and then make a bootable CDROM using Roxio. Problem is Roxio will only use 1 disk to creat the bootimg.bin file...

Send me any ideas you might have.

Edit disk 1 so that it assigns you cdrom a known drive letter like W:, then change the autoexec.bat so that it does not ask for disk 2 but continues on and launches ghost.exe from the cd w:\ghost.exe. put ghost.exe on your cd with your image file and away you go.