Missing File-new Shortcut, Folder, File, Etc

Eck

How can I fix the Explorer Toolbar's File dropdown menu to get back the "New" menu? You know. The one that lets you create a new folder, shortcut, file, etc. It's not there anymore.

I tried looking in TweakUI for a repair. I also reinstalled 98SESP2.0RC2 and the latest 98SE2ME. No change.

The choice exists while in Word but not in any Windows Explorer window.

Hm. Create file with .reg extension. Add

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New]
@="{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"

Run.

Thanks Tihiy, but that didn't do it.

I have Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename, and Properties on the top section of the File dropdown, then My Documents is checked (I'm using that folder as an example) then Work Offline and Close.

There's no "New" section anymore.

This is a computer I'm just playin' around in. It's my old HP Pavilion 4430. Maybe Windows is fubar'd by my changing of video drivers 3 times on a G-Force 2 MX 400 32MB PCI, then switching to a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI. I'm trying to get the thing to perform at least as well as it used to when it was my main system. Plus, I added a Lite-on Cdrw/DVD-ROM Combo drive, a WD SE 80GB HD and up'd the power supply to 200 from the original 90. It's a SiS 5598 board notorius for slow performance on its locked 66MHz Bus, but I up'd the processor from the original K6-2/300 to the 366MHz one (the max it can take). I just needed to change the multiplier jumper and the new processor works fine. Oh, and I up'd the memory to 256MB long ago.

The system doesn't seem to like WMP's visualizations. The DVD's were horrible with PowerDVD 5, so I went back to PowerDVD 3.0 and it's better. However I couldn't stand the motion blur and the struggle it seemed to have keeping up with the lip synch. So I've switched to the 3dfx as I figure that uses less system resources to run than the G-Force. I had thought the faster card (the G-Force) would be better, but we'll see. I'm about to test the Voodoo with DVD.

I wanted to fix this first, but if the system is fubar'd I'll just see about the DVD and reinstall a retail 98SE rather than updating the HP recovery 98 Gold version as I had done this time. I've got all the drivers and software for this thing, so no worries.

Darn it though. I've run Everest and the performance of this box is pitiful. I don't remember it being this bad. But then, it was my first computer and I've now built my own 2 others. I've gotten used to much better hardware.

Edit: Well, the DVD's are different. They have that "Voodoo" image quality. However the lip synch is worse although the motion blur is gone. Still not really watchable. Maybe the worst I can take as a 98/DOS system is my KT7A. The A7V880 is useless for MS-DOS Mode as the onboard stuff usurps HiMem's memory allocation. That'll be just for XP. This ASUS SPAX-M board is too slow to not annoy me. But hey, I'll be able to use my Voodoo 5 5500 AGP again with the KT7A! Whopee!

Weird Explorer bug, eh?

How can I fix the Explorer Toolbar's File dropdown menu to get back the "New" menu?  You know.  The one that lets you create a new folder, shortcut, file, etc.  It's not there anymore. 

I tried looking in TweakUI for a repair.  I also reinstalled 98SESP2.0RC2 and the latest 98SE2ME.  No change.

The choice exists while in Word but not in any Windows Explorer window.

Try this:

1. If you installed 98SE2ME option 3 [WinME explorer.exe, comdlg32.dll, shell32.dll + webvw.dll] you should merge this REG file into your Registry:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]
"{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"="Microsoft New Object Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}]
@="Microsoft New Object Service"
"flags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SHELL32.DLL"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New]

Make sure to change C:\\WINDOWS if different on your computer.

2. If u did not install 98SE2ME option 3 [make sure your shell32.dll file in %windir%\SYSTEM is build 4.72.3812.600 or 4.72.3612.1700] merge this REG file into your Registry:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]
"{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"="Microsoft New Object Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}]
@="Microsoft New Object Service"
"flags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SHDOC401.DLL"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New]

Make sure to change C:\\WINDOWS if different on your computer.

Hope this helps.

Also:

1. If installed WinME explorer.exe + shell32.dll run this:

%windir%\SYSTEM\REGSVR32 /I /S %windir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL

2. If not installed WinME shell32.dll + explorer.exe run this:

%windir%\SYSTEM\REGSVR32 /I /S %windir%\SYSTEM\SHDOC401.DLL

Hi Eck,

One thing I would definately suggest checking on is your DMA settings. Make sure it is turned on for both your dvd drive and hard drive. That k6-2 366 is pretty old, so you gotta make sure youre not wasting any cpu cycles on crap like PIO mode transfers. Switching vid cards from a gf2mx to a voodoo3 could have caused some problems too with drivers not being completely removed, then conflicting with new ones. Ive read scenarios like that many times from people switching from a geforce to a raedon, or vice versa. If possible I would sugest trying a clean install. Have you checked BIOS to see if there are any performance related options you can enable?