Preventing Malware

Malware proventions and suggestions! + Programs

-------------------------------------------

Spyware & Adware Removal Tools

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal - This program removes most spyware already stored on your PC.

Spybot Search and Destroy - Does the same as Ad-Aware, but better to be safe than sorry!

Spyware Blaster - Provents spyware to be put on your PC.

Microsoft Anti-Spyware BETA - I personally use this. One of the best anti-spyware programs i have ever had. Most Recommended!

CCleaner - Cleans out all uneeded files such as in Temp. folders.

XoftSpy 2005 Edition - The Latest in Anti-Spyware & Adware Technology

GIANT AntiSpyware - Great to be combined with Microsoft!

Spyware Doctor - Of course like most of Spyware programs!

CWShredder - Get rid of the hidden spyware that others cant get

Spyware program references

Suggestions / Firewalls

- If you only have 1 spyware program. It is not going to completely delete all spyware on your hard drive. That is why i recommend having two spyware programs. The two programs I would recommend is GIANT combinded with Microsoft Anti-Spyware!

- Also if you dont have a router firewall i would recommend using a internal Firewall.

If your looking for a good firewall, Go for Zonealarm or Sygate. I use Windows Firewall with Sygate.

- Never ever forget to have a good hardware firewall/router with at least port blocking and Stateful Packet Inspection . Always the best to have!

Sygate Personal Firewall - One of the great firewall. I would highly recommend it!

Outpost Firewall - Also a very well made firewall! It you look below Tarun highly recommends it!

Firewall References

Anti-Virus Protection

McAfee Anti-Virus

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition - Not Free!

EZ Anti-Virus

Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Norton Anti-Virus 2005 - Not Free!

AVG Anti-Virus

Avast Anti-Virus Home/Professional

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic - Referred by dman.

Updated Suggestions

1. Use Disk Clean up and get rid of unneeded files. Compress old ones.

2. Go thru your Add/Remove program and get rid of anything you haven't used lately, if you have the disk for it and can reinstall it or download it at a later date should you decide you want it again. Just letting it sit on your hard drive taking up space is ridiculous if you aren't using it.

3. Run the Disk Defrag about every 2 weeks. If you have Norton Systemworks, set it up so that you can see how degragged your computer is and let it tell you when to defrag.

4. Remember to do a drive check every so often. You do this going to 'My Computer then 'select your drive©' right click it and go down to 'properties' on the pop up box select the second tab along 'tools' and click the top box 'check errors now'.

And then always. always download and install any Critical Updates that Windows lets you know about. SP2 is the exception to that rule for now. If you don't have your configuration set so that it will tell you and you aren't in the habit of checking periodically (like every other day) then set it so that Windows will let you know there is a Critical Update. This step is an absolute necessity.

---------------------------------------

Hidden Windows Anti-Virus

---------------------------------------

There is a hidden windows anti-virus thingy. Its a registry entry that blocks certain virus file names. For virus names to block check Symantec

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"DisallowRun"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun]
"1"="toosexy.pif"
"2"="x.exe"
"3"="xx.exe"
"4"="winnett.exe"
"5"="scvhost.exe"
"6"="cpu.dll"
"7"="csrss.dat"
"8"="csrss.ini"
"9"="csrss.lnk"
"10"="Readme.txt.exe"
"11"="daemon.exe"
"12"="Infect.drv"
"13"="Infectate.reg"
"14"="Muerte.drv"
"15"="daemon2.exe"

The only problem with this is if the filename is the same to a System32 file name, then you may not put the file name in there. It will shut down the needed system file.

So just copy the code above into 'notepad' or 'wordpad' and name it 'filename.reg' and run it. And your set!!

Want to know anything about Virus myths?

http://www.vmyths.com/

Free trojan scanners!

http://www.windowsecurity.com/

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Updated with Anti-Virus Removal tools, and suggestions!

Just so you know, GIANT was bought by Microsoft, so it's pretty much the same thing now. Also, running two firewalls can often cause many conflicts with each other. Personally I use Outpost Pro and have Windows Firewall disabled. Outpost makes for a great firewall, though I definitely agree with the top four recommendations for antispyware. Remember, the best ones are free because those who make you pay often have false positives.

Yeah, but depends what 2 firewalls you are using. Yet with windows and Sygate i havent had a conflicted yet and havent had any troubles.

I've noticed Outpost has a better user interface than that of Sygate. I started to look into Sygate, but couldn't find screenshots until I googled them.

Dont forget CWShredder by the hijackthis people. It can get rid of nasties that others can't.

http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshr...r_download.html

For super-pesky version of CoolWeb that closes spyware programs

http://www.safer-networking.org/files/delcwssk.zip

And not actually a spyware tool, winsockxpfix can get your connection back after you use some of these tools and removing the spyware kills net.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

eMax is not MSFN sponsor. Who wants to host MSFN? How chip? Also pay over 1 GB bandwidth every month? What's wrong with you people?

I don't like to be rude but this time... Is this really worth my time?

@epic

Stop playing smart.

Thread closed and Sticky. Great list matrix0978. Keep it going.

• 1 year later...

Unpinned thread as there were numerous out of date application links since the thread is over a year old. Also unlocked so the original poster can return to edit and update the links if he so desires.