Xphome Activation

reddavem

Hi people, can anyone help me!!!!!???

i installed xphome onto my new laptop with the same disc i used on my desktop!!

( i assumed that since i had already brought xp i could install it on as many computers as i wish!!!!!!!!!doh!!!!)

It seemed to install successfully but i kept having the activation pop up window appear every day telling me to activate....so i would click to activate...and it would tell me that it was already activated!!!

well as most of you will know....it wasnt!!!

Yesterday was days left ....ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am trying to fire up xp but i am now in a lock out loop tell me to activate xphome!!! i cant get to windows therefore cant see any of my files!!!!

So what options do i have???

1. ring up Mr Gates...give him money to activate xp??? (why should i ???)

2. Format harddrive.....lose 30days of work....??

At the moment my new laptop is an expensive paperweight..so if any one knows a way around it...please help....

many thanks

reddavem

first of all u had to read the eula (license) so u can see if u can install xp on more then one pc. second u can call m$ to activate xp over the phone and u don't pay a thing. or just like u said loose everything. :whistle:

first of all u had to read the eula (license) so u can see if u can install xp on more then one pc. second u can call m$ to activate xp over the phone and u don't pay a thing. or just like u said loose everything. :whistle:

He is right, I have heard that you can install it on one desktop and one laptop. You can call M$ and tell them you need an activation for the laptop one and they should give you one without charging.

He is right, I have heard that you can install it on one desktop and one laptop.  You can call M$ and tell them you need an activation for the laptop one and they should give you one without charging.

This is not correct for Windows XP. One copy = one machine, whether retail or OEM. (Unless you're covered by a volume licensing package...)

You're thinking of Office XP or 2003 - if you buy the full retail package, you're allowed to install on your primary computer as well as a laptop that you use. This does not apply to OEM copies of Office XP or 2003 - they are computer - specific (they can only be used on the computer they are originally installed on). If you're using a retail upgrade version of Office, it relates back to the original full version the updated version is replacing - if you're replacing an OEM copy, you can't install on two machines, but if you're replacing a full retail package, you can, if it's allowed by the original retail pack's EULA.

Here's what I would do to save your 30 days of work:

1. Go to the nearest software retailer and buy a copy of XP Home or Professional - your choice, really.

2. Can you access the computer using Safe Mode? If so, you can access the Windows registry - you may be able to enter a new product key from a new copy of XP Home right from there. Just do some searches for "enter new Windows XP Key". There's a tool called Keyfinder that may help you here also.

3. If you can't access the computer using Safe Mode, download the latest version of Knoppix (a Linux CD-based distribution) and copy all your necessary files to a FAT-based drive. Then reformat your drive and install your new copy of XP Home on your laptop.

Since you say the laptop is "new", does that mean it came without an OS? If it didn't come with a version of Windows (XP Home, XP Pro, 2000, ME, 98) already installed you'll have to buy the full retail version of XP to be in full compliance with the retail EULA.

As for the XP issue, jrf2027 is correct, you should just go and uy one, there are tools to change the key etc. As for the data, use somehting like BartsPE, download and install from another computer, and then you can access the burner functionality in pe to backup your data. then I would just reinstall and activate. That way you are legit, and didnt lose any work.

Yeah I agree with all you guys are saying. But I got another question. I read something about backing up this one particular file that has the activation information in it...so that way you can bypass calling Windows Activation...and it only works if you are installing the same copy on the same machine all over again...? Is that true? Is that even legal?!

EULA

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Now, I know for a fact that the Windows XP Professional edition does allow you to install it on more than one PC as long as one is a desktop and another is a laptop and you are the only user. You do have to contact Microsoft to complete the setup on the second PC.

Yeah I agree with all you guys are saying. But I got another question. I read something about backing up this one particular file that has the activation information in it...so that way you can bypass calling Windows Activation...and it only works if you are installing the same copy on the same machine all over again...? Is that true? Is that even legal?!

That file is generated using an algorithm created by all of the hardware in your PC. If you try to import this file into another PC it will not work because the algorithm for the new PC will be different.

that file who contains the activation algorithm is wpa.dbl isn system 32 folder. u can copy it and save it somwhere and then reinstall windows. after u finish boot into safe mode and copy the file into system32 folder. it might work if u use THE SAME hardware.

for me it did not work. also after i shrink my instalation cd for win xp and reinstall i called up microsoft to activate my win. the guy asked me if i change my hardware cause the last time when i activated my win i had a different code. so he said to me that i change my configuration. and i didn't.